HDD with Win 10 installed, exchanged between various different systems...worked flawlessly

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by itsmemario1, Aug 8, 2017.

1. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    I hope this isnt the "worlds oldest news", but I havent done this in decades. :)

I have a a ASUS Thin Client (Intel Atom 1,6GHz) here with a 250GB HDD, Win 10 Pro 64bit on it, KMS activated.

Now, this Thin Client died and the only option to work with today was an AMD Desktop PC (5200+).

As there wasnt any very important data on it and I had some time left, I took the HDD from the Intel Thin Client,
    placed it into the AMD Desktop and booted it up.

While I remember what happened back in the days, when you put a HDD with Windows on it, from 1 PC into another (1 Intel System 1 AMD), Windows sometimes wouldnt start up or even show a bluescreen.

To my surprise, a short "Getting devices ready" showed up and the windows system ran without any problems.

So I thought, why not put it into a 3rd system...and again, a short "Getting devices ready" showed up on a modern MSI gaming Laptop.

I guess I could continue this all day...now the question would be, is this supposed to be like this, does it have to do with KMS activation or am I the only one who does such things, hence remmbering this scenario from 10.000 BC. ;)

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @itsmemario1

By introducing Windows to Go support since 8, Windows itself is now less rigid on hardware changes. Most of the cases, the HAL can be regenerated without forcing a sysprep.

3. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    I've been doing this for a while with a master SSD with Windows 10 Pro and LTSB 2016 and installed programs with portables - so far plug and play any PC - on first boot it takes longer as some devices are getting ready.

I also have a folder with various drivers if needed as Windows update is fully disabled. If I need a specific one I just Google the hardware ID to download and install the driver.

When everything is optimized I image the system with Macrium Reflect.

To activate (COA sticker or retail key) Windows Update and firewall services need to be running otherwise you get activation errors.

4. #4 Deleted member 222776, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
    I've been doing this since Windows 8 was first launched. I have USB SSD stick which I use to boot Windows 10 LTSB x64. Boots in 10-15 seconds, has installed programs like acronis, paragon, 3D Mark, etc. on it.

IT support has never been easier. I've used it to test computers without a HDD, and fix unbootable computers, and many more. This installation can do benchmarking tests, backup operations, repairs... you name it.

5. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    ahhh good to hear then :)

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    There would be not any problem as long as the activation is done with KMS! That simply means if the Windows used is a VL (Volume License) License, the activation isn't done by Microsoft, instead over a private Activation Server, in this case a KMS Server. Using 'normal' and/or OEM Product Keys would end up in activation problems, which also could be solved quite easy in most cases, just it;s annoying!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Most KMS tools activate by emulating a real KMS server, so no private server.

And most KMS tools insert a KMS Client Setup key on non VL windows installs like Home (i am not talking about office).

8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep realy is true, still first user need read in Readme.txt how to KMS Tools works

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #9 pisthai, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    As a simple fact, even an 'emulated real KMS Server' isn't a REAL KMS Server! In reality, it's an illegal activation of (in this case) Windows 10, what ever version is used. In short word: PIRATED! That didn't mean that I condemn those users who used that way for to get something for free, as long as they didn't use that for to earn money from it! In the latter, such user should be punished, like it or not!

If you are a developer of Software, who are earning income from his developments, would you like that other making money with YOUR developments without any agreement and allowance, not to ask you first? How would you describe such act? Legal??