Headphone jack suddenly not working on Windows! On Ubuntu work!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by darkodar, Feb 18, 2017.

1. darkodar

darkodar MDL Addicted

Feb 12, 2013
  2. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    If it's the same jack and headphones for Ubuntu and Windows, it's not its fault. But make sure.
    Do the speakers work? If not, your sound may be muted
    Here are things you can try:
    Check in Device Management if there's an update to the sound driver or go temporarily to the previous version.
    Pull out your sound card and push it back in again to refresh contacts.
    Right-click the speaker in SysTray and run "Troubleshoot sound problems".

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #3 LatinMcG, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    take power cord and battery out.. hold power 25 seconds to drain and thus it resets jack sensing data and boot win.

also try removing the audio devices in dev manager with deleting driver checked.. reboot.
    set default playback device by right click.

4. arabcian

arabcian MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2010
    Reset your bios shutdown your computer and restart, and do not use restart when change OSes use shutdown between restarts that should fix it.

5. tgrgddb

tgrgddb MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2015
    make sure audio out put set default for headphone, nothing muted, check device manager, also sound settings and playback settings.

6. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    This question might sound silly. What Windows version and architecture are you having this audio problem? If it is 32-bit Windows it is time you try 64-bit.

7. zxcviop

zxcviop MDL Novice

May 19, 2017
    I agree, it is most likely not a hardware problem. If you have done some updates before the problem happens, you can try restore point.

I had experienced windows update replacing my audio driver with some crappy generic one, remove and install audio driver again helps.

8. tgrgddb

tgrgddb MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2015
    did you install the right drivers?

9. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    It might not be an issue with installing the right drivers, The OP has possibly tried drivers he could get his hand on.

There are some EUFI 64-bit systems that would come up such error if they are installed 32-bit OS or older OS. I have come across them in many cases where one or more drivers(drivers developed for the systems by the system makers) won't work until EUFI compactible OS is installed or a 64--bit, etc.