Hello - Help! Automating installation of Microsoft applications on Windows Server

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by dj.exodis, Sep 17, 2013.

1. dj.exodis

dj.exodis MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    #1 dj.exodis, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    Hello,

I will start by making the explanation of the scenario i'm seeking help in.

Currently i'm looking for a solution that will automate installation of multiple Microsoft products.

I have a lab that runs on Windows Server 2008 R2/ 2008/ 2003 and each time i have to install the following Microsoft applications manually such as Visual studio, SQL server and other products because each operating system has its own hostname. This manual installation happens because of decommissioning of servers due to development issues. After installation of the products, i have to fix in each system's hostname and fix the database and make general maintenance to make the system running again. The following takes around 2 days of work to make only one server up and running.

Also, due to multiple systems we have, i clone virtual machines (VMs) and each time i clone, the cloned machine will have the same replicated information such as system's hostname, same database name etc...

My concern is, if there is a way to create a universal system having all virtual machines and systems have same exact data but the hostname is different then this will help.

My question(s)

1. Is there a tool that will automate such installations?
    2. If yes there is a tool, is there a way not to fix the hostname manually every time? For example create a system that once i input the hostname all applications will pickup and use?

Note: I'm open for any ideas and suggestions. If you have tutorials and links that's much appreciated.

Thank you for your time and help.
    Regards,

2. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #2 Mr Jinje, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    create a network share and script some 'administrative' installations. Each product will be slightly different, but you can either point to the setup.exe with some silent switches, or if they are MSI they have different switches. Google the 'App Name' + silent installation and you will usually find what you need. Once you have the syntax and verify the install goes correctly, drop the bits into your setupcomplete.cmd and it will install with Windows.

Also you'll need a bit in your setupcomplete.cmd file to rename the machine. In a domain you can use AD location info (city/state initials + a building ID) concatenated with the machines serial number (read from registry key). But I guess you could alternatively write a script to loop through existing names on the network, adding +1 each iteration (server01, server02, server03)

3. dj.exodis

dj.exodis MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    Mr Jinje,

But I guess you could alternatively write a script to loop through existing names on the network, adding +1 each iteration (server01, server02, server03)

Will you able to give an example or show how. Please provide tutorial. Thanks.

4. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #4 Mr Jinje, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Maybe I'd run something like this with the file shared on the network. Each server will rename itself and add its name to the text file.

Code:
    $z = "\\somewhere\Test.txt"
    #$z = "C:\Test.txt"

$a = (Get-Content $z | Measure-Object)
    $a.Count
    $a = $a.Count

$a = "Server" + $a
    Add-Content -path $z "$a"

Rename-Computer -NewName $a
    Restart-Computer

5. dj.exodis

dj.exodis MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    thanks.

I tried but I'm looking for more robust and easier way to do. For example a software to create such automation?

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And I expect you are not prepared to pay for it?

7. dj.exodis

dj.exodis MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    So you have any? I will pay :) don't worry

8. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
  9. dj.exodis

dj.exodis MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    I will check and test both replies and i will let you know. thanks for the help :smokecowboy:

10. cyberbot

cyberbot MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2011
    MDT is cool tools!