HELLO!!!<---I'm A new N00b!

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by interceptor999, May 5, 2009.

1. interceptor999

interceptor999 MDL Novice

May 5, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Welcome

Welcome to the forum; look forward to your participation.

Good luck with your "old" system. BIOS modding is fraught with perils but there are folks here who are quite capable. When in doubt, ALWAYS post back with questions before proceeding.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. interceptor999

May 5, 2009
    #3 interceptor999, May 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  4. Barney Bear

Barney Bear MDL Novice

May 28, 2007
    Welcome To The forum :)

5. interceptor999

May 5, 2009
    Any idea's on who to talk to about Asus boards? what I mean is which guy is considered the Asus guru?...lol

I'm also putting together a parts list For a brand new AMD computer...Phenom II;) with an AM3 socket and ddr3 ram so far its already up to around 500 bucks....eeek, I might have to search EBay for some parts:(

6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
  7. interceptor999

May 5, 2009
    #7 interceptor999, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
    (OP)
  8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
  9. interceptor999

May 5, 2009
    #9 interceptor999, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
    (OP)
    How do I go about switching the bios out? I saved the old one with that program.:confused:
    I mean I tried using the supplied program and I keep getting an Error message and the bios isn't replaced. and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Again thank you for all the help!

10. interceptor999

May 5, 2009
    #10 interceptor999, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
    (OP)
    I also tried to install a floppy and do it that way but the cables wont fit the floppy socket damm compaq.....:mad: It just wont load up:( I see the file that has been changed but what do I do with it? my options are running low....

:edit: I found a cable that fits, floppy is now working but I have no boot disk I tried making one using the MS boot disk formatter thing on xp but that doesn't work as well.

wtf.

I really want to try out the bios...

11. interceptor999

May 5, 2009
    Bump.

nothing?:confused: I'm sure theres a way to do this...I have searched Google and looked at many ways and it is just being very difficult.:mad:

12. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    A few details, please

Let's set aside the mobo for a moment . . .

1. What is the make/model of your machine?

2. What is the BIOS/version presently installed?

Monk

13. interceptor999

May 5, 2009
    Compaq Presario SR1630NX

ASUSTec Computer INC.

Amberine M 1.03

BIOS
    Brand Phoenix Technologies,LTD
    Version 3.15
    01/25/2007

Windows XP Pro sp3 build 2600
    Direct X 9.0c

Is that helpfull?

14. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Helpful

It's helpful because my digging has discovered that there seems to be various recommendations based on the machine rather than the mobo. I am sure that you would agree that this makes no sense whatsoever insofar as I would expect the focus to be on the 939 socket. That said, it seems that there are several 939 versions, potentially each OEM version being a bit different than the others.

ASUS has DLs for their 939 sockets, including, BTW, BIOS setup software; one hope is to narrow down the field and find a best fit. HP/Compaq does not list BIOS flashes by mobo; they list BIOS flashes/updates by machine/BIOS version.

I'll keep digging.

Monk

15. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
  16. interceptor999

May 5, 2009
    Mkay so zip drive:) I'd like to get the most out of a dual core since I plan on using it in the car:) the mobo is just the right size and its fully featured *once the features are opened that is*...lol

I was looking up using a pen drive and that one didn't work because the bios didn't support booting from that, and floppy didn't work because I must be clueless or something...:eek: Soooo Zip drive sounds promising I'll learn it ...your right google is the shiznit:cool: