Hello my (future) friends!

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by morphism, Dec 10, 2012.

1. morphism

morphism MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2012
    You may not believe me, but I actually did read over all the forum rules, and the sticky for this thread. :biggrin: Even so, the subject matter of this e-mail MIGHT seem as though I'm asking for an answer to a problem, but that's not my intent.

Anywho...

I'll try to be as brief as possible:

In essence, I want to be really well versed in computers. Currently, I'm only to the level of a-person-who-can-build-his-own-tower.

I've built 4 or 5 PCs, and added in a lot of hardware to them.

That's about it. I starting playing around with PCs about 6 years ago. Before then, I didn't even know how to order something off eBay. Now, I at least know what .torrent is, the tor project, and a few other things that the normal individual doesn't know about. But not much.

I have some pretty frustrating issues right now, but I'll ask about those in the appropriate threads. Here, in THIS thread, I'm asking for links. Newb links. If you kind people could link me to threads upon which I should start on my journey toward becoming a God of the PC (...I don't really like Mac so much), I would very much appreciate it.

Topics I'd like to learn about (...in no particular order):
    • Proxy servers
    • DDos
    • Hacking routers/modems (NOT for malicious reasons. Only to check my own level of security. Seriously. I'm not planning on hacking other people's PC's. Only my own.)
    • IT terminology
    • Basic programming
    • Becoming well versed in Windows 7

If I knew all of those topics through and through, I think I'd probably be where I want to be in terms of PC knowledge.

So... any links at all that'll get me started will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

Morphism

2. morphism

morphism MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2012
    Thank you very much redroad!

I'll read those in the morning. It's been a LOOONG day, but for sure, they will be read.

Thanks again.

All the best,

Morphism

3. morphism

morphism MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2012
    #5 morphism, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    (OP)
    Once again, very much appreciated. :biggrin:

My current problem deals with IM software... in that it simply won't work. DO any of those links have anything to do with understanding IM software?

All the best, folks,

Morphism

EDIT: I'm still gonna read all the new links like a mo'fo :worthy:

4. morphism

morphism MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2012
    RedRoad,

The Windows 7 tweaks I think is a bit over my head. Like, if I could get to a page that is for PURE DUMMIES that would be awesome.

RedRoad, I fully hope to someday be able to use those guides, but, for example, I don't know User Access Control very well, and I don't know what tweaks I should/should not do, etc.

Anyone have anything so amazingly basic that a PC retard could learn from it?

Thanks again, RedRoad.

All the best,

Facey

5. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. morphism

morphism MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2012
    Hey, EFA11, why would I want to do port forwarding?

I know that it can speed up D/Ling torrent files, but then I'd need to set up a static IP, right? And isn't that a bit risky?