help activating windows 8 via kms and wmc key

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Xterminater, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Xterminater

Xterminater MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I finally got to install windows 8 on my laptop but I keep getting this error when I tried to do the commands to activate via kms. I then tried the batch that someone here showed but still same message. I have attached the picture of the error. error.jpg

I even did the windows key + q and type in cmd to get it elevated but it will not work :(

2. OldMX

OldMX MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Run the command prompt with admin rights (win+x)

3. Xterminater

Xterminater MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    #3 Xterminater, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    (OP)
    You are a freaking genius :p Now I have a water mark that says windows 8 media center, is this normal? However windows update is not working :( When I right click on my computer it said I'm using windows media center pro but it says on the bottom not activated :(

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    For fixing this issue and more info about, see second link in my signature :D.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Xterminater

Xterminater MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I re-used that batch file with the data file provided and now windows is activated but I'm about to use a dreamspark key so how do I undo that batch file and activate with a real key?

6. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    Afaik you canĀ“t activate with your Dreamspark key after upgrading to Pro WMC, due to not matching OS versions. So i would guess you will have to install Win 8 Pro and activate it with your Dreamspark key, you can add WMC afterwards.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Xterminater

Xterminater MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    redroad ... before you blast me about not using the search button, I didn't want to waste a dreamspark key if I see that windows 8 isn't good! I'm ok with it so far so I want to use the key now. But there's no point if this is working fine and I'm activated!

8. Xterminater

Xterminater MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    when I run slmgr /dlv it show I'm licensed, does this mean I'm ok and continue to use the OS fine? I also used the advanced token manager to make a backup already

9. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Showing licensed, nothing to worry about but how long only M$ knows.