HELP - Anniversary Update killing sound on Surface Pro 4

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by THEDREAMWALKER, Aug 24, 2016.

1. THEDREAMWALKER

THEDREAMWALKER MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2016
    Hi guys,

I am really really tired of my Pro 4 already. When I got the machine, it was wonders. The moment the Anniversary Update hit it, the sound is gone.

Every time I have to go to Device Manager, UNINSTALL the Realtek Audio driver.

I have tested the Pro 4 without the anniversary update and it works just fine. Is there any way we can make the sound work.

From what my limited knowledge tells me, the driver isn't booting up with the bootup.

Every time I uninstall it, it asks for a reboot and when it starts, the sound is fine.

Any help?

Attached Files:

2. THEDREAMWALKER

Jul 30, 2016
    No? It says "Intel Corporation driver update for Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST) Audio Controller". I have Realtek, as you can see in the screenshot.

How do I know if I have the latest firmware?

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I never touched a Surface on any kind, but usually the audio cards are composed by two pieces, one inside the chipset an the other is external so I think you're included

I think as usual, entering in the bios, or using an utility like cpu-z

4. THEDREAMWALKER

Jul 30, 2016

So how do I update this? I didn't see any way to update. it just mentions in the link that there is an update.

Let me get home and I shall report back.

Thanks a lot for your reply. In the meanwhile, if anyone else can give it a shot?

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I would suggest you disable the Intel display audio and set Realtek as default.

6. THEDREAMWALKER

Jul 30, 2016
    WHOA! How? Can you even do that? Can you please guide me? Thanks a lot.

7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Find your way to the device manager. Someone probably has an easy way, but I usually go thru computer info in windows 10.
    Scroll down to the one you want to disable and right click on it and follow the directions.
    You might need to check the hardware ids to make sure which is which as they might both be labeled hd audio or whatever.

8. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Right click windows logo and select device manager

9. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. glennsamuel32

glennsamuel32 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2012
    I have always disabled hibernation in all my installs...
    It's very strange that the drivers don't load...
    Are you using any tweakers that have disabled startup items ?

11. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    If I am correct he started experiencing the keyboard problem after disabling the 'Turn on fast boot' feature that fixed the sound issue. That is to say fixing one problem leads to another. Meanwhile, I would say he should do a system recovery - perhaps might save the time from having to encounter this kind of problem.

12. glennsamuel32

Jul 15, 2012
    #15 glennsamuel32, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Recovery to which point ?
    From what he says, it never worked well...
    He should diagnose what's the issue since this isn't a common issue after fastboot is disabled...
    In any case, he hasn't stated that he he's using a clean install and not a modified OS...

13. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    I have eschewed laptops like the plague for decades--only using them when forced by work demands...;) Generally, the hardware driver situation & laptops are Mutt & Jeff. (Tablets are an abomination straight from the demented personality of Steve Jobs...;)!) I also routinely turn off not only hibernation but I disable all hardware sleep modes, too--which of course does not affect cpu power efficiencies or timed video blanking. Hardware sleep/wake modes play hell with device drivers, and hibernation can be problematic for the same reasons--and who needs problems, right?...;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. glennsamuel32

Jul 15, 2012
    ROFL !!!

Disabling fastboot aka hibernation solves 90% of all sound and display issues...

15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Well, that's not a fix that's a workaround. A workaround meant especially for old PC not ready to W10.

On a recent MS device everything is supposed to work.

Still waiting for a reply about this, anyway.

16. glennsamuel32

Jul 15, 2012
  17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Hibernation and fastboot are two different things.