[HELP] Bugs with start menu, 1703 upgrade (1607) and fresh install

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Olliw, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Olliw

Olliw MDL Member

Mar 17, 2010
    #1 Olliw, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Hi

I have some strange bugs when upgrading to, or do a clean install of, Windows 10 pro 1703.
    1. x86, or no metro programs, don't appear in the start menu. Only metro programs show.
    2. Can't pin x86/ no metro program to the task bar. They disappear after a reboot.
    3. Alt gr n shortcuts don't work anymore. I've made a whole lot of them, and I use them all the time. n for ninite, g for geek uninstaller etc.

Picture time! 1607 start menu to the left, 1703 to the right. Notice how even the Windows Explorer taskbar icon has disappeared.
    Start menu bug 1607 vs 1703.png

This happende back in march when the creators upgrade was originally released, both clean install and upgrade from 1607. I complained about it back then. Now that the "defer updates" won't hold it back anymore, I hoped Microsoft had ironed out these bugs. But no.

Do anyone have a fix for these problems? I think it's some how related to my MS account. When creating a new local user, the x86 programs appear in the start menu, and alt gr+n shortcuts work.

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Maybe some 3rd party theme you've had installed on a previous 8.x or 10 install while you've been logged in with the same MS account is syncing and causing problems because it's not theme patched / compatible

Try disabling theme sync / all sync

3. Olliw

Olliw MDL Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I haven't used themes since win 7, so it's not a very likely solution imo.
    Rolled back to 1607, everything is OK again.

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Perhaps there's something that;s corrupting the profile. What if you made a new user? Would the new user have this issue?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Olliw

Olliw MDL Member

Mar 17, 2010
    #5 Olliw, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    (OP)
    A new, local user won't have this issue. But as soon as I log in with my MS account, it all gets f'd up.

I asked the same question back in march, I did not see until now that another guy had the same problem and a solution.

6. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    I am getting the same or similar results. In a nutshell, brand new clean WIN10x64 1703 Pro or Enterprise install. No crazy tweaks or configuration yet...straight up default install other than turning off the privacy crap during install. Start Menu is typical with all the default junk on it. I right click every one of the tiles/adds/pinned stuff and turn off live tile, then unpin them all from start preparing to add my own. When I right click, say Control Panel and Pin To Start....the Start menu just crashes and closes. When I bring it back up, all or most of the default garbage is back and nothing I try to pin remains.

My only clue is "ShellExperienceHost.exe" errors in Event Viewer each time the Start Menu crashes. I read about creating new users and copying the working "TileDataLayer" folder from them to the broken user account. All it does is break again and have a bunch of corrupted tiles stuck to the menu.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    On my mainsystem i just pinned "Control Panel" to start, nothing weird happens, it gets pinned correctly (15063.502 Pro x64 en-US, but never had those problems in the past too, never seen it happen on all installs i did, installed all possible sku's).

8. Dude Guyman

Jun 20, 2017
    #8 Dude Guyman, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Mine is fine on LTSB 2016 1607 14393.1480 as well. But I've tried several variations of Creators and it was a no go every time. Other odd behavior like when creating a new folder like, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools" where I like to install a lot of my programs, it will create 4 folders (New Folder, New Folder(2), New Folder(3), New Folder(4)) all at once. Lots of very trange bugs in 1703 for me.

Edit: At one point I did get a bunch of my own shortcuts pinned and the defaults removed, and THEN it froze at that state so when I tried to change/move/resize those or add any more upon the next reboot, all changes would be reverted. I thought that may have been caused by me turning off Indexing the start menu, but no amount of rebuilding the index later would fix it, nor a complete reinstall and never touching indexing or services or anything. /shrug

9. Dude Guyman

Jun 20, 2017
    I'd be curious to know if the 8-8-2017 Windows Updates fixed anything about the wonky start menus. I am running LTSB 1607 so can't find out, but if anyone else running normal 1703 and learns anything, I'd like to hear it.

10. EaglePC

EaglePC MDL Expert

Feb 13, 2012
    i had same issue all the time when i fresh install windows with out internet connection metro programs, don't appear in the start menu strange if i am connected then they do