Help Buidling Server for Small Business

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Jonny Quick, Apr 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Jonny Quick

Jonny Quick MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2013
    Currently a small medical practice uses an outdated Intel Server running Server 2003 with 15 clients. I'd like to upgrade the hardware, and wonder if there is some benefit to upgrading to Server 2008.

Is there?

From the research that I've done, it appears each User will need a CAL, and they are expensive. I read all the words from Microsoft and cannot help but wonder how they go about enforcing all these rules, etc... Does everyone pay this much, is this sort of a "wink-wink" situation, or are their serious risks at violating these rules?

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    For what you do there is no reason to upgrade. 2003 R2 will run fine on a lower spec hardware

sebus

4. Jonny Quick

Jonny Quick MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2013
    I will be upgrading the hardware. The question is if the O/S needs to be upgraded with it. Tentatively planning a build centered on the Intel Xeon E3-1230 CPU, if this helps give some substance to the theory (it does for me). Thanks for the help.

5. shaks

shaks MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2009
    I'd upgrade the OS whilst you are at it if you can. Server 2003 will not be updated from 2015 (2014 for exchange 2003) leaving it open to possible security issues.

I'd go for 2012 instead of 2008 & 2008 R2. It has some great new features

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Most likely you will be completely changing the hardware... Go with 2012, no need to mess about with anything lower then...

7. Jonny Quick

Jonny Quick MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2013
    You are correct. By "upgrade", I mean upgrading the whole Server. The question is whether they can continue to run their MS Server 2003 software. The demands on this Server are minimal. They only need the Server to run one particular, proprietary and industry-specific medical software, which may not run on Server 2012.

I'm trying to defer cost on the software upgrade, and thus far I have identified 3 issues:

1) Microsoft Server 2003 may or may not allow the business to remain HIPPA compliant, due to recent changes in the law/rules. At this point it's pure rumor. I can find nothing substantiating this, in fact Microsoft has a tool that will apparently tell you what configuration changes you need to make in order for 2003 to be HIPPA compliant. Still trying to find something authoritative and substantive on this question.

2) The cost of the CAL's of upgrading to Server 2008 (R2). They've already paid for CAL's for 2003. Preserving the value of that investment would be a good thing. Also the level of enforcement of CAL's for 2008. According to the wikipedia, Server 2008 does not have electronic checking of the CAL's, so I wonder how risky it would be to keep the CAL's to a bare minimum. Meaning, getting CAL's for every User and every device could be prohibitively expensive. They might call the whole upgrade thing off, and limp along another year with what they have.

3) Migrating the database of the proprietary software from 32-bit MS Server 2003 to 64-bit MS Server 2008. It might be a simple copy & paste, but it might not. And support from the software's authors is spotty, as they like to have their clients use one particular computer business to do all the upgrading, software migration, etc... and getting technical assistance from them may be difficult.

8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    CAL is an imaginary non-existent licence only on paper entity

As idiotic as it is, that the way MS licence its server OS

You pay for server OS, and then you also need to pay for clients to connect to this server (sure madness)

Nobody will be able to help you on the propriety software, you just need to try it

If you do not have hardware then you can use VM, install Server 2008 R2 or 2012 trial & play with a copy of the software
    If it works, great, if it does not then at least you know

Yes, spending money is painful, but if this thing fall over then so does the whole business. Is the risk worth taking?

sebus

9. mattjonesits

mattjonesits MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2013
    You could get MS Server Essentials. No CALS but limited 25 users.

10. mattjonesits

mattjonesits MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2013
    And I agree with Sebu's post. It isn't a huge amount of money to make sure things are done properly.