Help Building a Small Business Server

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by navino87, Aug 25, 2010.

1. navino87

navino87 MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    hi..

Iam planning to build a business server. I am new to this server concept. Our main purpose is 'centralised data storage'. We have office in 3 different location. Files in the server must be accessed by computers with different permission level. This being our main purpose, what are the other benefits from a server? what is a server all about??

Planning to use windows server 2008 since I already have a legit copy of it..

Plz help me in building a server.. TY

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    ???

A bit more info?
    Just file sharing or AD as well (for user management)

How many users? Internet access to file, via VPN? etc

More description, better answer

sebus

3. navino87

navino87 MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    Iam a noob when coming to server.. At present we need file server.. I dono what else a server can do :(.. Plz enlighten me with this regards.. what is AD?

Office1 - 4 computer (2 - running windows XP, 2 - running windows 7)
    office2 - 2 computer(Windows XP and Windows 7)
    office3 - 2 computer(Windows XP and Windows 7)

All computers has Internet access.. Server vil be in office1.. read write permission should be set for different users..

Is it also possible to have a email name @ companyname.com with use of server??

4. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    A NAS will be cheaper if you have to buy a server license, but OP has a license, so a cheap fileserver can be a good option, if they like to add more features on the server later on. But of course, some of the good NAS units has lots of features to use in a SMB environment.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    With the server you have also electricity bills, which are WAY smaller with a NAS unit.
    Server can go wrong much easier than a purpose NAS unit

I would never recommend full server for upto 15 ? users that do no more than file sharing

sebus

6. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    But what is the price for a good NAS in your country? Here in Norway I think a server will be cheaper then a good NAS. Don't know what country the OP live in, but he has to take a look at the price of a NAS vs a Server.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And add to the price cost of electricity, and also setup time/support

No matter how cheap you can build the "server" for, it will be always more expensice in long term for such small development

Rememeber, it is NOT the price you pay just NOW!

sebus

8. navino87

navino87 MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    NAS devices are way too costly here in my place... moreover there is no good NAS devices available.. If i have to go for a good NAS device, i have to import.. which will result in huge damage :(

9. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    A dual core CPU, with 2-4 GB of RAM, some disk (what you need), and motherboard with screen adapter or a very cheap adapter, and a 500W PSU, and you have a OK fileserver that can run Windows Server 2008.

10. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And you also have in front of it somebody that does now know what the server is, and it is the only "administrator" of this machine

Do you expect a success?

You also forgot to add the absolutely vital part, any kind of hardware for daily backup!

sebus