Help, Can't install win 7 home by DVD or USB.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MarkJohnson, Nov 5, 2010.

1. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I have an older computer that refuses to boot from a DVD or USB, but CDs boot fine. It is an MSI 865G NEO2-P with a 3.0GHz P4 w/HT and 2GB of DDR-400 RAM.

Is there a trick to get these old computers to install win 7? I already updated to the latest BIOS and the problem persists.

Thanks fpr any help.
    -=Mark=-

2. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    what about hitting f2, f8, or Esc button (depending on your PC model) during early startup and choose the desired device?

3. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Some older PCs wont run the Win7 setup no matter what you do.

The solution, if i remember correctly, was to replace some of the bootfiles with those from a Vista DVD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lower_nibble

lower_nibble MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2010
    1: Is your copy of 7 burned and possibly not bootable, period?

2: Your drive is a DVD ROM and/or Burner, right?

5. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #6 Stannieman, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    What kind of dvd did you burn it on? I have an older laptop that boots fine from dvd-r but it can't even read dvd+r of +rw

And if your pc has usb 2.0 (not lower cause that's to slow), you can boot from a plop cd ans boot the usb from there

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    It finds the DVD fine and attempts to boot from it fine. It just gives an odd error. I think disk error 5 or some such.

I have both a DVD and CD drive. It won't boot from the DVD. I had issues when DVDs first came out that they wouldn't boot from DVDs without a BIOS update or maybe FW update. But a new BIOS didn't fix it.

I have both DVD -r and +r and neither worked. Plus the USB gave the exact same error. Whats a plop cd? and disk won't boot at all.

The BIOS sees the USB drive just fine and lets me select it as the boot device. I just get this weird disk error 5 or something.

I did manage to get win 7 to install. I just started it XP as if I were doing an upgrade and selected new install when given the upgrade option. all is well and thanks a ton for everyone's help.

-=Mark=-
    ps. It would have been nice to figure this out. but it's back in my cousin's hands now and he's very happy.

7. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #8 timesurfer, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
    Maybe try mount install with UltraISO?

I have had systems that woudn't install via DVD or USB but I kept trying and it worked.