[Help] Can't search "system settings"

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by negativeone, Aug 21, 2015.

1. negativeone

negativeone MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2009
    If I launch the settings app on one computer, no matter what I type in the search field, (eg: "update") I get no results. Additionally, the same is true for start menu - that search will not display anything from settings.

This works fine on my other computer. Anybody know why?

2. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #2 odiebugs1, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Try going to control panel, indexing options, advanced, rebuild. And you can troubleshoot search at bottom.

As for the reason why it's not working, I have no clue, but when was the last time you told it you loved it or took it out to dinner, maybe it doesn't feel appreciated.

3. negativeone

negativeone MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2009
    Haha thanks odiebugs1. Unfortunately I already tried that rebuild. Man, this is puzzling to no end.

4. unknwn

unknwn MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    I think something is broken regarding indexing/search.

I have tried many combinations of rebuilding/changing indexed folders/resetting to windows defaults. The result is that the search doesn't find one or another link/shortcut.

For example now it doesn't find "windows update", but finds everything else I normally need. Previously it couldn't find any item from the control panel. It seems to be random.

Try resetting windows search to defaults by changing "SetupCompletedSuccessfully" to 0 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows search. Restart windows search service.

5. BJ0RN

BJ0RN MDL HTTP-uploader

Dec 6, 2013
    When you search, click My Stuff, then Settings, should show it then. Btw, you search for what?

6. negativeone

negativeone MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2009
    If I search for "update" in start menu, I should get the option that says "search for updates" (or something like that). This is based on what I see on my other win10 computer.

If I am in the Settings app, and I press a single letter, like "f", I should get a bunch of results back, but I get nothing.

Already tried what you suggested btw. No dice:(

7. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I got this problem also! Although I got it when I switched language, and it only applies to the Settings app.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Try to reconfigure your Cortana settings, try to make sure your region is change to USA(for test) and use Ccleaner to clean your registry.

9. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    SOLVED it, finally! :biggrin: It was inside the Settings C:\...\AppData\Indexed\Settings. The folder was named en-US, the solution was to rename it to sv-SE, and now my Settings app works just fine to search from :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...