Help! changed OEM Bios files - now it asks to activte

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by BuonaDomenica, Nov 3, 2009.

1. BuonaDomenica

BuonaDomenica MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2009
    after OEM bios files change it asks me to activate upon login. Hope I can get the computer back to normal again???

I'm having a real problem here. I have an Acer desktop Model AM1641 that came with Windows Vista but I installed XP on it. Now I came across the OEM Bios changer and thought to convert the VLK to OEM on the Acer.

when I ran the program the Acer file it showed 717B6EF3 (Acer) and no other numbers. So I put those files in the uncompressed folder and ran the change program but it said OEM.cat missing. I got those files from a torrents.

Then I used a different Acer sting 700A8481 and that ran just fine but upon reboot I get the Windows Product activation screen.

any suggestions? Is there no SLP in the Bios??

I have to dig on the Acer Taiwan Website to find the Bios for the desktop. It's all in Chinese so it will take me a while to translate with Goole the pages.

thanks
    BD

2. BuonaDomenica

Aug 27, 2009
    fixed it as I found the correct OEM 717B6EF3 in the OEM Bios thread.

whew. that was a close call since that is not my computer.

thanks

BD

3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #3 911medic, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. BuonaDomenica

Aug 27, 2009
    yes, I have used your tool and it always works great but this time I think it was user error on my end. I should have never loaded a different OEM Bios files number then that was given from the output at option number 1.

For some reason 717B6EF3 for Acer which I got from the OEM Bios files through a torrent seems to be damaged and does not work. So I just loaded another Acer number which I found and that was not even listed in the output.

I did not know that it does make a backup but I will keep that in mind in the future. So far I have converted many PC's with your tool and it always worked and so far I only had troubles with two Acer Desktops.

thanks again for the great tool.

BD

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Glad to hear it works for you...You can always make your own backup also, play with the options a bit..it is helpful if you need reinstall and such..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...