help, D:\ is not accessible after 1909 update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by god_paul, Oct 17, 2019.

1. god_paul

god_paul MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Hi, everyone,

I just downloaded the ISO to drive D:\ and then open the ISO to run the setup to update to 1909..

after update complete, I cannot access my drive D:....

D:\not accessible...

what happened?... I have some personal files inside... :-(

did 1909 screw up my drive D:?

Thanks

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    After installation, the drive letters are likely to have changed. See what drive it is now. It is likely that the former D:\ drive is now marked with a new letter or no letter is present at all (then the drive will not be visible in the explorer). If there is no drive letter at all, You must add it using partition manager or using built in Computer Management => Storage => Disk Management
    You can find Computer Management using this address
    %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    When he ran the setup from the root of the iso, he can't have changed anything, it's fixed to the current partitioning, it's an upgrade.

4. Sako549

Sako549 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2011
    Check Disk Management and see if the drive is detected there and has a drive letter too. Worst case, you can reverse the upgrade I guess.
    Good luck!

5. god_paul

god_paul MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009

I performed diskcheck and re-assigned drive letter...

i assign drive access to myself in the Security tab...

NOW, ALL my files are gone!!! Empty drive now...

It's SSD

6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Did you use de-duplication or some kind of drive encryption? Anything weird? It's unusual to get the drive access back without seeing the files.

7. god_paul

god_paul MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009

After the 1st reboot during installation, Win10 starts to check disc D, ok, fine

Then, once everything all set, D is not accessible.... ownership is removed by win10 setup...

then, I add back. all files gone except seeing found.000 folder..lol

anyway, it's not that important files but so annoying to do some work....

lesson learned.... backup everything before upgrade.......

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Well just for future reference and onlookers, this kind of thing can often be fixed by uninstalling the update. If you had some super important files in there it is possible to restore them by uninstalling the update.
    Occasionally they change drivers when you upgrade to different builds. I remember there was an issue recently where if you changed the default paths to certain system things and it was fixed by an uninstall.

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I am wondering from what build did you run the upgrade from and from where did you actually start the setup. from a mounted iso (opened in explorer) or an extracted ISO (extracted to a folder on the D partition)?

If it was 18362.32x+, you only had to install the 20KB 1909 Enablement Package to go instantly to 1909, without any risk of loosing anything.

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Tool may be nice, but it is a bit old and after all it is in every computer. This is default Windows function.
    You can add it on right-click menu and use as much You want.
    I hope I did no mistakes.
    PS: If You have Yamicsoft Windows Manager, then it is available there in context menu manager.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\ResetPermissions]
    "MUIVerb"="Reset Permissions"
    "HasLUAShield"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\ResetPermissions\Command]
    @="powershell -windowstyle hidden -command \"Start-Process cmd -ArgumentList '/c icacls \\\"%1\\\" /reset' -Verb runAs\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\ResetPermissions]
    "MUIVerb"="Reset Permissions"
    "HasLUAShield"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\ResetPermissions\Command]
    @="powershell -windowstyle hidden -command \"Start-Process cmd -ArgumentList '/c icacls \\\"%1\\\" /reset' -Verb runAs\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\ResetPermissions]
    "HasLUAShield"=""
    "MUIVerb"="Reset Permissions "
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""
    "Position"="middle"
    "SubCommands"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\ResetPermissions\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\ResetPermissions\shell\001flyout]
    "HasLUAShield"=""
    "MUIVerb"="Reset permissions of this folder only"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\ResetPermissions\shell\001flyout\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\ResetPermissions\shell\002flyout]
    "HasLUAShield"=""
    "MUIVerb"="Reset permissions of this folder, subfolders and files"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\ResetPermissions\shell\002flyout\command]
    @="powershell -windowstyle hidden -command \"Start-Process cmd -ArgumentList '/c icacls \\\"%1\\\" /reset /t /c /l' -Verb runAs\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\ResetPermissions]
    "HasLUAShield"=""
    "MUIVerb"="Reset Permissions "
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""
    "Position"="middle"
    "SubCommands"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\ResetPermissions\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\ResetPermissions\shell\001flyout]
    "HasLUAShield"=""
    "MUIVerb"="Reset permissions of this folder only"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\ResetPermissions\shell\001flyout\command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\ResetPermissions\shell\002flyout]
    "HasLUAShield"=""
    "MUIVerb"="Reset permissions of this folder, subfolders and files"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\ResetPermissions\shell\002flyout\command]
    @="powershell -windowstyle hidden -command \"Start-Process cmd -ArgumentList '/c icacls \\\"%1\\\" /reset /t /c /l' -Verb runAs\""

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...