Help Deleting Folder

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wyrman, Dec 17, 2009.

1. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Somehow along the line I ended up with a folder on C: called "Boot". Won't let me delete it

Attached Files:

2. Matty Lowe

Matty Lowe MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    Use File Assassin on Malwarebytes.

3. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I think this folder was created with PowerISO as it is related to BCD (BootCD). Has one executable "Memtest" and a bunch of log files.

4. jbysmith

jbysmith MDL Junior Member

Feb 8, 2008
    That's used by the BCD (Boot configuration data). You really shouldn't be messing with that directory unless you're using a different operating system's boot loader, say Grub or whatever. If you're not, you can make your system unbootable.

5. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    That's wierd as this folder is not on my laptop. It's just on my main box. I've got a modded bios's on both.

6. jbysmith

Feb 8, 2008
    Does the one machine have that little hidden partition that 7 tends to create by default? Might be on there.. every system I've put Vista or 7 on has the BCD data, be it BIOS modded, softmod, or even one of the laptops that's (gasp) legitimate as it came with 7. I'm not positive; I typically use a BSD liveCD to do my partitioning.

7. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I'm not sure if the laptop has a hidden partition of not. How do I find that?

8. jbysmith

Feb 8, 2008
    Under Administrative Tools, either in the control panel or on the start menu if you enabled it, go to "Computer Management". On that window, left side near the bottom, hit "Disk Management". That'll bring up Window's partition editor. Again, no idea if Windows stores BCD data on that or not, it's just a guess. (Assuming you have hidden and system files turned on in Explorer.) Most of my systems dual boot into either BSD or Linux, and I typically do the partitioning by hand.

9. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Why do you want to delete C:\boot??? You'll lose the ability to use the "Repair Computer" in ur WinBootMgr and to boot the OS itself:D. Well if u still want to delete the folder use a Linux-LiveCD.

10. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    C:\boot is a hidden directory; purposely done so by windows 7, so as not to be tinkered with by inquisitive minds. Leave it that way.....

11. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I thought it was something new as I never seen it before. Thanks. I'll just let it be.