[HELP] Dell phoenix bios problem

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by slyphnier, Jan 5, 2010.

1. slyphnier

slyphnier MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    hello

i really need help here, i will really appreciate if someone willing to help me fix my bios

i was using my pc without problem, until the morning, it suddenly crash
    and when i restart my pc, the POST flash screen got lots random characters

for somereason login normally give me blue-screen, i forgot to write down the blue-screen error code...
    but i can login from safemode

i run symantec online scan but it said my pc clean...
    so i tried to reflash the bios (i download from dell support page)
    when i tried to reflash, it said it can detect system version, and it wont let me to reflash

then i attempt to boot from BIOS, but somehow i can only boot from systemrescue CD, i cant make it the bios boot the CD

i already tried to reset CMOS by pluggin the jumper, but the problem is still there

i already ask in dell forum, and from someone reply, they said just ask mobo replacement if your warranty is valid
    indeed i still got my warranty left, but the problem is i moved from the country i buy the system, and i dont know if the warranty is internationally or not

i know lots great BIOS Modder here, i really hope someone willing to help me

for information incase needed
    my system is XPS730 Q9550
    Dell board somepeople said foxcon made
    chipset is Nvidia 750iUltra
    on bios Phoenix Award Bios V6.00PG

thanks in advance!

2. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    I doubt the BIOS is the problem
    Get Memtest86+ as run that to check the memory.
    Does your dell have system diagnostics (normally press F key on start - or F12 and select from boot menu)

Andy

3. slyphnier

slyphnier MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    andyp thank you for fast respone !! :)

yes the system have it, i will try it right away
    i did system check this morning, but stop it when it at half process

what do you think broke/error in my hardware?
    does VGA-card error can also same done things?

the reason i suspect Bios error is because i can reflash, as reflash tools display me unknown type instead displaying the correct type

anyway i will post update after the check up done

4. slyphnier

slyphnier MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    the test done, and it pass the test
    well i am not sure if the test pass it all, since i can barely see the screen, it covered with lots random character :(

any idea what wrong with my system ?

i will test my system with memtest after this

thanks in advance

5. slyphnier

slyphnier MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    hello

i finish testing with both memtest and dell diagnostic ... and the system pass both

the things that make me wonder is, if the VGA broken, do it still give nice image when log to windows?
    i log under safe-mode and that random character show up in bios post test screen dissapear

please any work out in this issue ?

6. slyphnier

slyphnier MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    #6 slyphnier, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    (OP)
    after few test i done on my system

it seems my VGA that broken...
    thanks andyp for telling that seems not Bios issue

the reason i think that my VGA broken is that
    i can randomly login to windows, then suddenly it automatically shutdown randomly either shutdown or restart (also BSOD)
    *and i remember that some nvidia chip was faulty, after looking about it, indeed 9800GT one of nvidia faulty chip that makes me think more vga is the problem

I use Dell diagnostic tools and it pass everything
    also on memtest it doesnt show any sign of memory error

bios update tools that i download from Dell can detect my BIOS (sometimes it can detect sometimes it cant, i dunno if this another issue or not)
    its like when i start the tools, it didnt detect the system version... then 2nd time i start the tools it can detect it

i will grab new VGA this week and hopefully that the only problem that my system got

7. stonedagain

stonedagain MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Buy an Ati card, I had problems similar to yours with Nvidia cards. Never had an Ati card fail.