Help! DVD drive does not apear on WDP (Win 8)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Madonna, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Madonna

Madonna MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2011
    Hi,

Can please someone help me? Since I installed the Windows Developer Preview (Windows "8") my disk drive did not apear on the system. I'm on dual boot (win 7 and WDP) and the DVD drive apears correcly on win 7, but when I'm logged on WDP the DVD does not apear, it does not apear on "disk management" or on "device manager"...

I have no idea how to make it apear.

The drive is a internal LG Blu-Ray burner.

Thanks

2. ctoon6

ctoon6 MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2010
    when you installed W8 did you uncheck the boxes that asked if drivers could be installed automatically?
    have you tried putting some media in the drive?
    have you tried restarting?
    have you tried checking the cables connecting the drive to your PSU and motherboard?
    did you search the general model of the drive to see if it does have known problems with W8?

3. Madonna

Madonna MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2011
    Hi, thank you very much Ctoon6 for the help,
    when you installed W8 did you uncheck the boxes that asked if drivers could be installed automatically?
    No, I had not unchecked the divers automatically updates.

have you tried putting some media in the drive?
    Yes, many times, even after a restart, after a shutdown

have you tried restarting?
    Yes, many times, made a shutdown and boot win 7 and the same drive works fine on win 7, when I go back to WDP (win 8) it does not apear.

have you tried checking the cables connecting the drive to your PSU and motherboard?
    Yes, it is working fine on win 7, just on WDP (w8) it does not appear, not even on "device manager" nothing..

did you search the general model of the drive to see if it does have known problems with W8?
    Yes, I tried to install the driver and nothing happaned, it even made an update after I made the install of the driver, but the device (disk drive) did not appear on the "computer drive list", not on the "disk management" or on "device manager".

On Win 7 it works fine, the strage thing is that I used the drive to install the WDP (w8).

Thank you very much for the help.

4. ctoon6

ctoon6 MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2010
    Do you have any other drives you could try to see if they work?
    does anything interesting show up in the windows device manager? (DVD/CR-ROM drives)
    do you require this drive to be working all the time? you could rip the media and mount it on the WDP partition, it has iso mounting capabilities integrated directly into the OS now.
    would it be possible to do a fresh reinstall, verify that the iso image you have has the correct hash.
    Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64): Sha 1 hash - 6FE9352FB59F6D0789AF35D1001BD4E4E81E42AF
    Windows Developer Preview English, 64-bit (x64): Sha 1 hash – 79DBF235FD49F5C1C8F8C04E24BDE6E1D04DA1E9
    try using a flash drive to install WDP, google "Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool" and click the link from microsoftstore, i have not verified this method, but i can verify it works great with W7.

5. mikedl

mikedl MDL Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Is it possible you're not looking in the right place?

My DVD drive doesn't show up here:

ScreenShot00001.jpg

But when I click on "Computer," it is quite apparent:

ScreenShot00002.jpg

6. antush3

antush3 MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2010
    #6 antush3, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    I was using Windows 8 build 7955 and I was facing the same problem. The OS did`nt see my LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N dvd drive. To sort this problem out first of all I restarted my PC and inserted the windows 8 7955 disc and begin to boot the disc.
    Then after the setup screen appears after booting the disc cancel the setup. The PC restarts .
    Then log into your Windows operating System.When you`re logged in go to my computer and see that if shows the drive now or not!
    If it shows the drive then quickly open device manager and under dvd/cdrom device uninstall your current drive drivers. Once the driver for the drive has been uninstalled than quickly click action menu and in it select scan for hardware changes which results in permanent installation of your dvd rom drivers.
    NOTE**WHILE FOLLOWING THESE STEPS YOU SHOULD NOT EJECT THE WINDOWS INSTALLATION DISC**
    Now once hardware is recognized eject the disc and restart the computer and see the change..........

I have tried this method on Windows developer Preview and has worked for me.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Note:- Improper shutdown of pc again leads to this problem, so the user has to follow the same steps again and again in case there is an improper shutdown

7. Madonna

Madonna MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2011
    Thanks ctoon6, mikedl and antush3. I'll give a try on all your possibilities this afternoon. After all the tests I'll post here what happened, but i just wanted to say thank you in advance.

8. eyelburm8

eyelburm8 MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    thanks antush.. worked for me

9. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I have a problem with my optical unit...read all cd/dvd but not write...HELP!...:worthy:

10. antush3

antush3 MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2010
    Sorry for late reply:rolleyes:
    may be the device is malfunctioning. Such problems doesn't arise after installation of windows

11. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Both my DVD drives did the same thing.. I read something about Microsoft discontinuing Dolby drivers or something somewhere because of licensing issues or Windows is just bugged

12. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Just had to say i love you btw lol.. This helped and saved me :) was getting a little frustrated and didn't want to reinstall :S

13. zzdiesel

zzdiesel MDL Member

May 20, 2007
    I have this problem and just tried this fix and it won't work for me. :mad:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    What I did was I switched my Sata Ports and then windows 8 found the Drive. Give that a go, fixed the DVD Drive not showing issue for me.

15. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    yea,just switch the sata ports around and it will work,my sata dvd drives were not being recognized till i switched the sata ports around;)

16. antush3

antush3 MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2010
    #16 antush3, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
    Look brother, I don`t know the exact problem in windows 8 but I want to tell you that I had this problem of drive not displaying windows explorer. I used the above mentioned method in Windows 8 build 7955 and Windows Developer Preview and this method was successful. However, this method was unsuccessful for me in windows 8 build 7989 64 bit.
    If it didn't worked on windows 8 build 7989, then it won`t work. You can try it on WDP build 8102 or I should say x86 versions and if it still doesn't works then I am sorry regarding the same.

17. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    yup Jay u Always great.... outside here too :D:D:D:D

Your suggest work well, i did not think to a such simple solution, just to change Sata plug to another.... i've done before re-installing, my last wdp installation from DVD messed up....

Now my LG blu-ray player is well recognized by windows...

18. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    Yeah it seems to be an issue with Windows 8 and LG BluRay drives as that's what I keep reading around the web with people having this issue.