Help enabling advanced options in AMI bios of VAIO VPCF11S1E

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by ffx, Feb 5, 2011.

1. ffx

ffx MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2011
    Hello,

I need help with activating the advanced options in the ami bios of my Sony VAIO VPCF11S1E. Especially I am interested in the hidden options "VGA Switching Policy" that I need to set to "static".

Can you tell me what program I have to use to enable these options? I already got the bios files out of the sony bios update R0280y6 SMBIOS update and from Universal BIOS Backup. The sony update consinsts of 2 files, R0280Y6.rom and K0280Y6.rom. These files are smaller than the one file from Universal BIOS Backup.

You can find all files in the attachment.

So in this tutorial (forum. notebookreview. com/sony/473226-insyde-hacking-new-vaio-z-advanced-menu-bios.html) they are searching for a specific string inside the bios, "$VSS" or 0x24 0x56 0x53 0x53 in hex.

But these string only exists as "VSS", so I guess the bios is somehow compressed?

Is there a windows tool available to setup the default options for the bios? There must be one... How would sony change it without??

Please help!!!

Attachments: rapidshare. com/files/446385411/f11files.zip

2. quid

quid MDL Addicted

Oct 22, 2010
    The thread you referenced is about laptops with Insyde, not AMI. The windows tool you're looking for is AMIBCP v4.xx. Good luck finding it though. The only place I ever saw it was on a single manufacturer's ftp site and it was only there for a month or two.

I looked through the BIOS for your laptop with and didn't see anything referenced as "VGA Switching Policy". The only thing even mentioning VGA is something called "VGA Palette Snoop".

3. ffx

ffx MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2011
    quid, thanks for your info. Could you describe me to how you managed to read the names of the advanced options? Or could you maybe post a list of all available/possible options?

My problem is the laptop has no proper lvds/internal screen detection for osx and I guess it has something to do with a incorrect advanced options setting. The dsdt/acpi is one that is used also on a hybrid model. There is acpi code for intel graphics, but no intel card is inside. I read from linux sources that there where similiar problems, and these gone by set vga switching to static. My theory is that when the nvidia driver kicks in (that was designed for hybrid models) it tries to activate the lvds on the intel card and this could be controlled by smbios. The driver is loaded correctly and also works perfect on hdmi or other external screens.

4. skyfighter84

skyfighter84 MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2010
    #4 skyfighter84, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    If I am right, you got access to AMIBCP 4.x! :eek:

I searched the whole web for it, but had no luck. I'd like to unhide all options in my "Asus U36JC" AMI Aptio UEFI - especially the "Memory Remap Feature" is needed to be able to use more than 4GB of RAM in that Notebook.

May I kindly ask you to have a look at the Aptio UEFI and it's hidden options? The newest Version is available here
    Code:
    Direct Link: h t t p://dlcdnet .asus. com/pub/ASUS/nb/U36JC/U36JCAS204.zip
    Web Site: h t t p://www .asus. com/product.aspx?P_ID=XrzH3yU3IVV4nMqL -> Download -> OS: Win7 64bit -> BIOS -> Version 204 Download

(Sorry - I'm not allowed to post links, so I had to "malform" them... :()

Perhaps it is useful for unlocking the Options: If I run into the Aptio Setup at Boot-Process it says "Access Level: Administrator".

5. ffx

ffx MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2011
    Common quid, please post the options list. You would help me a lot with that!

6. TTAV134

TTAV134 MDL Expert

Mar 1, 2009
  7. spinning

spinning MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011
    Hi quid, any chance I could get amibcp v4.xx? I would like to disable hyper-threading on my core i7. Thanks!

8. spinning

spinning MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011
    Meant to reply to this one. Cheers

9. burn2k

burn2k MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2011
    Hi quid,

I red your post about the fact, that you have found AMIBCP 4.x on a ftp. I searched the whole inet up and down, with no luck. I have a motherboard with APTIO EFI BIOS 4.6.4 and can't boot in UEFI only-mod. So I decided, to mod the BIOS myself, because there is no official update -.-

Could you send me the AMIBCP 4.x, if you have it? You would help me so much :)

Thanx a lot

burn2k

10. James D

James D MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2011
    #10 James D, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
    I have both 4.5. versions: Amibcp and MMTool. I will share link soon where did I found it. It took whole day to search google for it:)
    But I want your help guys in advance. www . megaupload . com/?d=8YNG9UZL
    As I understand to unhide settings I need to change settings of Access/Use from Default to USER, right?
    HOW can I flash it to my Sony Vaio guys? I edited 2MB ROM file and what now? How can I flash using USB drive? So if smth go wrong I will flash the same way but original rom file.
    extractedbioefile.jpg enableextremeedition.jpg

11. sherazenator

sherazenator MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2012
    You can flash it amiflash sowtware to flash, it is available on ami website.
    But its no use, i tried the same and flashed it. But was not able to see advanced and chipset menu in the bios,
    however few options in boot menu were shown-like-fast boot,quiet boot, gate a20 etc