Help - EVGA P55 FTW BIOS MOD

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by cquinndesign, Dec 11, 2010.

1. cquinndesign

cquinndesign MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2010
    Ok guys, see if you can help me out with this situation.

I have an evga p55 ftw motherboard.

I have Windows 7 x64 Utlimate.

I modded the BIOS with the latest version, A72, Alienware 2.1 SLIC.

I used the AMI Slick Mod Tool, with SSV2 as the option. Here is my hardware setup:

Core i7 860 Socket 1156
    6GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM
    EVGA P55 FTW Mobo
    EVGA GTX260 Vid Card

I used to have 2X EVGA 260GTX Video cards, but I sold one, and bought a EVGA GTX 460 video card (eventually I will have SLI with that also)

Anyway, I sold my GTX 260, and I have one left. Its in the computer now.

I went to compusa and bought a 460gtx, I came home and took out my 260 and replaced it with the 460, the BIOS beeped, and basically said video error. I though the card was DOA, so I brought it back to Compusa and returned it and got another card.

I come home, put the new card in, and same thing. It doesnt work. This time I am upset, so I bring my entire computer to compusa and have them look at it.

The guy tries everything, pulling all the RAM out , changing the RAM, clearing BIOS, switching between bios 1, 2, 3 - (This motherboard has 3 different BIOS, basically its a switch that you can choose to load BIOS 1, 2 or 3) I currently have only BIOS #2 modded.

So the tech guy finally gives up, and puts the same exact gtx460 into another computer, and it works!

So now we don't know what to do. I am thinking its the BIOS mod I did that is messing this up.

Here is what happens: (remember, I use BIOS #2 when I modded)

When I switch to BIOS #1 or #3 the computer does not boot.
    When I try to flash the BIOS, from a USB Thumb, with the latest AFUDOS file, booted into FreeDOS using the command "afudos /iXXXX.4M /pbnc /n" it says "Can't Analyze IIM Information"

Because I can' boot into BIOS #1 or #3 I can't try those out. I am waiting for EVGA to approve my RMA, but I want to figure this out on my own! I don't want to wait for them to take my board back, and send me a new one.

Could the "method" in which I modded the BIOS be an issue? On the AMI Slic Mod v1.6.1, should I have chosen "SSV, SSV2, SSV3, Dynamic" , what about the "Advanced options" should I mess with them?

I can't even flash to the original bios because it gives me the error "Can't Analyze IIM Information"

Please only reply if you know what is going on, I really can't brick this thing until the RMA gets approved, and I am about to send out the board. This is really frustrating because it seems nobody has ever modded this BIOS before.

Thanks

Quick Re-Cap

My system + GTX 260 in 16x PCI-E boots fine

My system + GTX 260 in 8x PCI-E boots fine

My system + GTX 460 in 16x PCI-E does not boot (gives video error beeps, POST Code 85)

My System + GTX 460 in 8x PCI-E Slot boots fine

Any System + GTX 460 does boot, so video card is not issue

We have eliminated that the RAM DOES WORK, POWER SUPPLY DOES WORK, HARDDRIVES / USB CONNECTED DEVICES DOES WORK

My system + GTX 260 in 16x