HELP - External WD Elements

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by donek, Feb 14, 2013.

1. donek

donek MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2013
    Hi,

My hard drive WD Elements (2TB) recently starts to work not stable. Without any reason, I had problems to move or copy some files from my HDD. Sometimes my computer doesn't recognize my HDD.

I tried to use WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows "Extended Test", but it failed because some errors. It doesn't even want to finish the test. It just hangs around ~15% of scanned sectors and completely stops.
    When I did "Quick Test", it passed..

I tried "HDDScan-3.3" and I've got S.M.A.R.T. report:

My Elements.jpg

Can someone tell me what is wrong with my external HDD and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks for any suggestions.:rolleyes:

2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    #2 msr, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
    I have two of those and what i did was just take them out of the case and use them as internals. There are too many problems with external cases for me.

Thats what you may have to do, as fixing a problem is harder in external drives.

Have you got that stuff you have on it backed up?

Can you read all the files you have on it. Also did you try windows error checking on the drive first, that sometimes helps.

Usb drives can be a pain, thats why i use only internals. You may have to take the drive out of the case and use internal to fix.

Is it out of warranty?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #3 LatinMcG, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    usualy bad sectors or circuit board issue. (yours says realocating sectors.. so it is bad)
    i dont trust any external.. drop it once and there is the results.

to prevent this in future .. make 4 paper balls and tape them to corners of HDD .. protects it if it falls.
    it can take impact.. just not major or heads hit disk and bad sectors occur.

4. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    i had the same issue, after taking the drive out of the case and used it internal it was all ok - think it was an issue with the usb controller within the case... :cool: