Help extracting BIOS ROM file from MSI AMI BIOS executable

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by FL0W_K1NG, Sep 3, 2014.

1. FL0W_K1NG

FL0W_K1NG MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2014
    Hello everyone,

I am building a computer and have come across a problem. The computer kind of powers on (CPU fan powers on but the system doesn't continue past this point) and I am thinking that it is because the current BIOS installed doesn't support the Ivy Bridge CPU that I put in the system. Problem is that I need to flash the BIOS and the file that I got to flash the BIOS is in the form of an executable, but I need it as a .ROM file. I need some help on extracting the ROM from the executable. The motherboard is a MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) and the BIOS version needed is 5.0.

2. FL0W_K1NG

FL0W_K1NG MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2014
    Thank-you so much!

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    If you don't have access to an eeprom programmer then you'd still have to install a Sandybridge cpu 1st to upgrade bios.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. FL0W_K1NG

FL0W_K1NG MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2014
    Yeah, after I was unable to blind flash the BIOS with the ROM using the Ctrl + Home method, I figured that it might be a good idea to invest in one of those eeprom programmers. That or try messing with the JSPI1 header, connect it to a LPT port on a different system, and write the BIOS to the chip that way (seems a little risky though).