Help Flashing BIOS for IPIBL-LB Motherboard (HP m9360f)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by rainster, Jun 11, 2010.

1. rainster

rainster MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2010
    #1 rainster, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
    Hi,

I'm completely new to BIOS mods, but I've spent several days reading a lot of the threads on this forum to familiarize myself with the process.

I have a HP desktop, m9360f, Windows Vista 64-bit, with IPIBL-LB motherboard (Benicia) and AMI BIOS v5.35. I see there is no BIOS mod for this version currently, but I am looking to upgrade to a more recent BIOS first.

Before I do so, I have a few questions specific to my computer... I would greatly appreciate if someone could answer them!

1) I looked extensively and it seems the latest original BIOS version for IPIBL-LB is 5.39. However, the only way to flash it to this version seems to be from a user-posted ROM file, no official manufacturer method.

Has anyone here tried to upgrade to the original BIOS 5.39 version posted at forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/7500-All-Slics-2.1-(Modded-Bios-List)-Note-For-requests-use-Bios-Mod-Requests-section?p=196364#post196364 on a HP m93xx computer? Will it work for all IPIBL-LB-based computers? Is it safe to upgrade from 5.35 to 5.39 directly, without going through 5.37?

2) With respect to BIOS v5.37 for IPIBL-LB, I saw a link to the official HP site (h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3658372&swItem=vc-68959-1&prodNameId=3658376&swEnvOID=1093&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=5), but that page doesn't say Windows Vista x64 is supported (only 32bit), and doesn't reference IPIBL-LB at all. Is it still safe to update the BIOS to this version? It seems to be easy to upgrade to that version since it is Windows-based flash utility, and there is a Bios Mod available here for that version (5.37).

3) It seems the only way to flash a modded AMI BIOS is through a USB stick (no floppy on my computer), but usually HP BIOS updates are done just through Windows without any usb. Is there a way to flash the BIOS from Windows directly instead of a USB (and without following all the steps at forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/8909-Make-A-bootable-USb-drive-For-Flashing-From-DOS? It seems less scary to update the BIOS via Windows instead of dealing with "beeps" and DOS.

4) It seems the BIOS recovery procedures are all based on floppy drives. So I am worried that if something goes wrong, using the USB method, will I be in deep trouble?

Thanks in advance for any answers :worthy:

2. rainster

rainster MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2010
    I think I can answer my own question #3, it seems I can use AFUWIN to flash from Windows. However, is there any downside to using AFUWIN compared to the DOS/USB method?

3. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    My Advice is that you Run AFUWin and click on the SAVE Button and then Upload that back-up BIOS to sendspace or a similar site.
    Then Request a Biois Mod for your current BIOS, here:
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/5863-Award-amp-AMI-Bios-mod-requests.
    That way you know that it works properly on your EXACT MB.
    Make sure you include a R/W Everything Report also because it is important to use a SLIC that Matches your Existing RSDT Info.

I Never Recommend that anyone Flash from Windows, especially with a modified BIOS.
    The risk of bricking your MB is much higher and also many times the SLIC info is NOT properly updated when flashed from within Windows.
    This BIOS will Flash from DOS with AFUDOS 4.xx without any problems, it has already been done many times on that same motherboard.
    Use a Bootable USB Drive to flash.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. rainster

rainster MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2010
    #4 rainster, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks NoJuan999. After flashing to a modded BIOS, is it possible to flash to an original unmodded BIOS in future? I read that you need to update to the original BIOS first before flashing to a modded BIOS of the same version, but what happens when you want to update a modded BIOS? Can you only update to another modded BIOS?

Also, can you clarify if 5.39 posted at forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/7500-All-Slics-2.1-(Modded-Bios-List)-Note-For-requests-use-Bios-Mod-Requests-section?p=196364#post196364 is indeed for my system (IPIBL-LB)?

5. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    Yes you can flash an Original BIOS after Flashing a Modified BIOS but you will overwrite the SLIC info when you do that.

That v5.39 BIOS is for the HP - ASUS IPIBL-LB but I have No Idea if that is the same PCB revision as your MB.
    Which is why I said to make a back-up of your BIOS and have that modified.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...