Help getting UEFI

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mowerman, Sep 1, 2021.

1. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    I have a Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi running w10. In preparation for the upcoming w11 I have already enabled TPM, I need to also enable UEFI but have come to a dead end when attempting. I click "recovery, then Troubleshoot, then Advanced options, at which point I should be able to click UEFI settings but I am not given that option. Total beginner here. What should I do?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    UEFI is a bios setting, when changing that from LegacyBIOS to UEFI it's best to clean install win 11 from scratch.

3. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    You can do that in some UEFI-BIOS that have a NTFS driver built in. ASUS is one of them but it's not "the proper way" of doing things. Full UEFI compliance requires a GPT partitioned disk and a FAT32 boot partition. But if it works it works, right?

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You're talking about WiFi and ask for enabling UEFI? These two are not related to each other in any way.
    You can enable UEFI on your computer if you have a BIOS, motherboard, etc. that allows UEFI and if the UEFI software is also installed. Do you have?
    Perhaps must start with what computer you're talking about at all, which BIOS version is installed, whether UEFI software is available for this configuration, and whether it is installed. Only after that can we start talking about of allowing or disabling it and how to use it or how not to use.
    And of course, You must have made partitions to use UEFI, these are fully different of these what are used for legacy boot and they cannot be simply converted, they must be done before you begin install anything at all.
    So start by examining whether your system allows UEFI at all. Is there a BIOS for this system what allows UEFI and is there UEFI software for this system?
    Once all this is in place, start creating the necessary new partitions on your hard disk and installing the appropriate software.
    There is nothing simply to convert. And it has nothing to do with Wifi.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    I was forced to switch to UEFI because my GPT disk won't boot under LegacyMBR. But I disliked GPT/UEFI so much I swiftly switched back to Legacy/MBR

Can you please tell me why is it so important to have FAT32 loader to kick off the boot in GPT?? What does FAT32 has that NTFS doesn't, except for the 4GB file size limit.

7. crypticus

crypticus MDL Senior Member

Jun 29, 2015
    UEFI gives you faster communication between hardware at boot and needs gpt structured drives to benefit of it properly. you may not see any differance you can sense or see during normal usage of your computer. since afaik it only effects boot speed since it takes the place of the traditional operating system boot loader.. so when you change between legacy or uefi after installing os will not effect your system boot speed as it normally does when you reinstall your wndows. when you change that settings you are just giving command to your pc to use fat32 usb or ntfs usb for next time you reinstall windows. (ofc it will use uefi or mbr according that option too)

GPT support at the firmware layer will allow disks of enormous size to be used, even for booting the operating system. UEFI takes benefit of that. you disliking it and changing during already installed windows will not effect anything. these settings are for your next windows reinstalls.

he is not talking about wifi, he just mentioned his motherboards name.

8. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Thank you for the explanation. I understand the advantages of GPT over MBR. What I wanted to know is why the UEFI doesn't have native support for the NTFS file system ? UEFI is supposed to going forwards, why are we going backwards in regards to file systems just because we have a workaround?

9. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    NTFS is closed source and owned by Microsoft. On the other hand, FAT32 is free to be implemented anywhere and it's part of the UEFI specification. Vendors might include an optional NTFS driver on their firmware, but it is possible that this has extra costs and license agreements

10. crypticus

crypticus MDL Senior Member

Jun 29, 2015
    +you can use ntfs if you use rufus software....

11. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Oh! I didn't know that. Now it all make sense. But I would say it's rather cheap of vendors to not include NTFS drivers for UEFI and use a workaround which then requires another workarounds. I think Asus has native support for NTFS, if it's so, I'm gonna ditch HP and go with Asus next time.

Thank toy for the elaborate answer.