Help. GIGABYTE mobo impossible to Flash!

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by pennsylvaniaron, Mar 7, 2010.

1. pennsylvaniaron

pennsylvaniaron MDL Member

Dec 4, 2009
    #1 pennsylvaniaron, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
    I just search through some threads and haven't seen anyone with this problem. Just bgt a new setup from newegg, gigabyte ga-pa55a-ud3 mobo with I5 proocessor, 4gb ram. This mobo comes with the F4 bios and gigabyte has posted revisions up to F7 now. I wanted to first, update the bios to F7, you know get my hands dirty before trying to do a mod and install win 7. here's the problem.

The bios revisons come in an .exe file. When you execute it 3 files are made. An autoexec.bat, flashspi.exe and the actual bios file p55ud3.f7. Gigabyte says you can update the bios 3 ways, floppy, q-flash (boot up) or @bios (from within windows). Well the .f7 file is 2mb in size so it doesn't fit on a floppy, so that knocks out FLOPPY and QFLASH. I installed a quick copy of win/xp and @bios gives errors saying its not the correct award part?? I thought of another way by putting the files on a cdr and then booting with a win98 floppy with cdrom support. I thought I could then use qflash or the flashspi.exe file but I never got that far because for some reason on boot-up no cdrom drives are found. they're in the bios list and its connected to ide as master (tried cbl select).

So how are Gigabyte motherboard owners flashing their bioses? thx, Regards...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. domatlapuk

domatlapuk MDL Expert

Sep 12, 2009
    #2 domatlapuk, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pennsylvaniaron

Dec 4, 2009
    no flash drive (yet)

thanks for prompt reply. however as I sit here i do not have a flash drive in my arsenal, YET! Guess I'll buy one and try the procedure. I do have an external usb drive but cant seem to get the gigabyte to boot up to it. Any other thoughts sans usb flsh drive?? regards..

4. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
  5. pennsylvaniaron

Dec 4, 2009
  6. pennsylvaniaron

Dec 4, 2009
    #6 pennsylvaniaron, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  7. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
  8. pennsylvaniaron

Dec 4, 2009
  9. number2_1212

number2_1212 MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2010
    I have always used QFLASH without any problem (though many people claim it is better to boot into DOS and flash it). The manuals and the various forums suggest we not use @bios.

10. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    QFlash may work but it doesn't always update the Bios fully.
    @Bios has Bricked Many, Many MB's when trying to Flash a modified Bios.
    That is why we recommend using the FlashSPI utility that is packaged with Bios updates by Gigabyte.
    It has proven to work reliably when Flashing these modified Bios files.

11. number2_1212

number2_1212 MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2010
    I started using Qflash when I did not have access to a bootable device. Now that I have made several bootable USB sticks (some mb's require FAT and others FAT32, very odd), I'll try FlashSPI in the future. Thanks.