Help!!!! How to change the RAM of NEC Versa s5500?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mesozoic, Jan 5, 2010.

1. mesozoic

mesozoic MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    Hi all,

I wanted to change the RAM of my NEC Versa s5500. However, after I've removed the battery and 9 screws from the bottom cover, I'm still unable to 'open' the cover. What did I missed?

Thanks and Regards

2. alextheg

alextheg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Visit the NEC website and download the manual for your laptop. This will tell you all you need to know :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mesozoic

mesozoic MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    Thanks Alex, however the manual available at the website does not show how to change the RAM nor the harddisk. :( If you come across one that does show, I would appreciate if you could let me know the download location. :)

Regards

4. alextheg

alextheg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I've been looking for your manual, which i found and as you said .......not very usefull. :) Can you post a picture of the underside of your laptop ? :D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Can't see anything from the picture...bad quality...

Are you able to partially lift the cover? Is it just some corner that can't be lifted or is it impossible to lift it at all?
    If there is just a corner that can't be opened, try to see what prevents that...

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Look along the sides for more screws or possible clips...

Also, is there not a seperate peace at the bottom which you can remove for swapping the hard drive ? Look into that too, cause there could be more screws below that.

7. mesozoic

mesozoic MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010

I've removed all the screws I can see and find. I could not see any clips you suggested (I may not be good at locating it but I've look many times) The design is such that there isn't any separate piece for removal for swapping harddisk or RAM. It looks like a single piece of cover at the bottom to be removed wholly.

Thanks and Regards

8. alextheg

alextheg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I would suggest if possible, to remove the parts indicated with arrows. It may then be possible to lift the whole cover or a section of it.

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5422&stc=1&d=1262874921

This is only a suggestion but worth a try. Also it may be possible that more screws could be hidden under labels. Some manufacturers do this as a kind of warranty seal. Just rub your finger over the labels and if there is an indentation, then possibly another screw underneath. Good luck. :D:D

Attached Files:

9. mesozoic

mesozoic MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    Thanks Alex. :)

The first arrow at the top: That is the battery, which I've also removed in my all my attempts

The second arrow in the middle: That is just the design which looks like a separate piece. It is part of the single piece of back cover.

The third arrow at the bottom: I've also removed the mini cover in my earlier attempls but it does not help. There isn't any screws under the cover.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. My apology for not being clear enough in my earlier emails. My concern is what you have mentioned. It may be possible that more screws could be hidden under labels or locations what we cannot see. Will rub my finger over the labels to see if there is an indentation.

Regards

10. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Every laptop has a service manual, this should tell you how to change the memory. It is not the manual you get with the laptop, but called a service manual.

11. alextheg

alextheg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 7, 2009
    #13 alextheg, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
    That is correct, however this involves spending some money. :mad: Also involves actually managing to find a service manual.

12. alextheg

alextheg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 7, 2009
  13. alextheg

alextheg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Thats a shame. I have to admit im running out of suggestions. Perhaps you could got to your local pc repair shop and ask the nice man behind the counter for some advice. Im sure if your buying the upgrade parts from him then he will help you. :D
    Otherwise maybe contacting NEC and asking to buy a service manual. To be honest its one of those situations where i could do with having the laptop in front of me to be able to help further.......obviously impossible ;) ;) :)

14. mesozoic

mesozoic MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    Alex, thank you very much for your time and effort in trying to help. :)

15. alextheg

alextheg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 7, 2009
    You are most welcome. I hope you find the solution to your problem. :D:D

16. no181c

no181c MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2010
    #19 no181c, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
    Hi,

Not sure if you have got the above question answered. It would be nice to get an update so that future query about the subject will not be left hanged like this :)

I have attached a pic showing probable way to dismantle the back-cover, though not tested. Hope it will work.

NEC S5500.JPG

Bests

17. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    #20 RawData, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
    As mentioned earlier, finding hidden screws is always a good idea when opening laptops without service manual. I tend to forget that too often...

Also, in many cases laptops have those "wonderful" easily breakable plastic clips hidden to keep people upgrading their laptops by themselves... as opposite of sending their laptops to expensive service for upgrades. Unless memory sockets are more easily accessible by removing keyboard (as it is with some NEC models), it's better be extra careful not to break any of those pesky retaining clips!