Help ...HP laptop, Vista, died, screen reads insert boot disc

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by IamacomputerdingbatHELP, Nov 8, 2013.

1. IamacomputerdingbatHELP

Nov 8, 2013
    The HP belongs to my friend and of course she doesnt have the boot disc. I have a Dell laptop with Windows 7 and a Dell desktop with Win XP Media. In layman's terms, is it possible for me to make a boot disc for her HP laptop from my laptop? Not even sure if its 64 or 32 bit.

Thanks so much! I just discovered this forum and what a great idea! A lot of brains in one place. :worthy:

2. OldMX

OldMX MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Get parted magic and burn it to cd, boot off it and load the smart monitor, if it checks ok then load gparted, select the recovery partition and change its flag to boot and restart the computer, it should boot to the recovery options, If the smart monitor reports error then try to save her documents and stuff to an external disk and get a new disk to replace the failing one.

3. IamacomputerdingbatHELP

Nov 8, 2013
    #3 IamacomputerdingbatHELP, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    (OP)
    Wow! Such a quick reply. Thanks! Now if I can look up all that and figure out what it means, hahaha, I will do this. ;) Thanks again for your quick help.

She isnt worried about saving anything on the computer. She actually was going to throw it away or let it sit on a shelf! I knew there had to be a way to bring this computer back from the dead since she took it to a shop and they said it would be $200 to fix it.

4. IamacomputerdingbatHELP

Nov 8, 2013
    I found parted magic, so I guess I am on my way to helping out my friend! She is going to be so impressed. Actually, she is impressed when I clean up her computer and defrag!

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    Your problem happened for a reason however obscure it might be. If it's so old she was going to ditch it, and it was not working correctly, you will likely be better served by wiping the drive and doing a fresh install of the OS. Patches work, but it failed for a reason and as already mention, a "failing" drive could be a real concern, i.e. how much do you trust an old computer that crashed?

6. IamacomputerdingbatHELP

Nov 8, 2013
    PhaseDoubt, scrubbing it was what I thought would be the best thing to do. I finally got a chance to sit down and try with the instructiors so kindly given above by OldMX. Nothing I did made any difference; I still got the Insert boot disk" remark. It really isnt that old and was working great before it died. I would never have paid that for the HP. My thought, and as I've stated, I am a dingbat, was to scrub it, install Win 98 ( because I happen to have that) and the upgrade to XP (which I also have). Then we could go from there. It had Vista on it and we both hated that so XP would be a good starting point. It is sort of a back up computer, so this one is mainly for ME hahaha so I'd like to get it working again. She has a new tablet or something and an IPhone (she has funds to spend on toys where I dont really, so she is siting pretty as far as I am concerned). I am the one with a job where I must have a working coming at all time, so in case mine has to go into the shop, I borrow this one from her. So is scrubbing and then installing 98 and then upgrading to XP a good or decent idea? Please, please share your knowledge with us so I can try this out. Thanks so much, in advance for your kind replies.

7. f33nix

f33nix MDL Member

Apr 4, 2012
    I would be tempted to make a Vista OEM Boot disk, all that you need is in this forum as I had to do this recently when work thrust me a dead machine that needed Vista reloading. Not as straight forward if you are a noob.
    I also had tried to set the boot flag on the recovery partition and it did not work.

If this machine is a genuine HP that came with Vista pre-installed then you should have a COA sticker on the bottom of the machine, it should tell you which Vista Version it had load and also have a key that you should be able to activate with phone. You will just need to download the Vista disk then boot it up. Since it is OEM then you should be able to load DAZ's tool to insert the licence for you.

8. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #8 PhaseDoubt, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    As long as you can get the proper drivers, a fresh installation of the OS cures a host of ills so long as the hardware is good.

Is the version of XP you have a true upgrade? If it's not, you can installed it directly. But if the computer was running Vista, it likely will run Windows 7 which you can get via a link found on this forum. Even if you can't get all the drivers, 7's generic drivers may give you a good "backup" computer.

9. OldMX

OldMX MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Yes, youre at the point is better to perform a clean install, if the computer boots to parted magic live disk, plug an external drive and back your friend stuff, plus the swsetup folder stored on C:\ , then wipe the disk and install windows in a clean disk and use the stuff in swsetup to reinstall all the drivers. Any other questions we will be glad to help.

10. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    If he goes the Win98 then XP upgrade route, the contents of the swsetup folder may do more harm than good.

If he installs Windows 7 he'll be better off getting compatible drivers from the HP website if they're available. If there are none, 7's generic drivers will work for most, if not all, of the computer's functions.

If he installs Vista, the contends of the swsetup folder may be useful. But he's already stated he doesn't want to do that.

11. OldMX

OldMX MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I tought he wanted to stay on Vista, I've seen several computers running Vista upgraded to Win7 or 8 where the USB ports stop working, but only on HP computers...weird...

12. IamacomputerdingbatHELP

Nov 8, 2013
    Yes, the XP upgrade is a true upgrade I bought for another computer, but ended up not needing it. Going to Win 7 sounds good too, since I am familiar with that one. I really, really didnt want Vista back on it since we both, along with many people,couldnt stand that one. You all have been very, very helpful and I am crossing my fingers that one of these thing will work. Thank you again, all of you!

13. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #13 PhaseDoubt, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    Let us know how it goes; you don't have to tackle this alone. If you run into problems or have general questions post what's going on.

My opinion is Windows 7 is far superior to XP (and Vista) and you can get it here. Same for an activation method. This forum is loaded down with experience and expertise.