Help in building a new system

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by gschandel, Feb 21, 2010.

1. gschandel

gschandel MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2010
    Hi

I am building a new PC. I have bought Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9400 and 4 x Crucial 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL6 RAMs. and I recently bought Full HD LCD Monitor with VGA/DVI-D/HDMI/USB connection options also.

Now I want to buy one 775 Motherboard which must have 4 DDR2 slots and on-board Graphics card. If it has VGA/DVI-D/HDMI/USB connection options also, will be wonderful to buy.

Any suggestion will be great help. Please suggest!!! :)

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Anything Gigabyte...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    The Gigabyte GA-EG41MF-US2H, is a great 775 board. I own one myself. It has all the features you are looking for. Only downside is that to occupy 4 dimms you need to use single sidded ram modules. I dont know if other Gigabyte boards have the same limitation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gschandel

gschandel MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2010
    Hi

Thanks for reply. What is this "4 dimms you need to use single sidded ram modules"

I am not that much techy guy. I have bought 4 x Crucial 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL6.

I want to build this PC to run 2d and 3d games and photoshop software. I may run Blue Ray and HDMI movies.

Please suggest

5. gschandel

gschandel MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2010
    Secondly, which one is better? Gigabyte or Asus?

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I think that question will always be useless. They are both very high quality and top performance brands.
    What I think is best, maybe won't be for you.

So it's better to ask : Which do you 'prefer'.

In my case, allthough Gigabyte is still among the best, I prefer Asus.
    Never had any issues or disadvantages using asus boards.

Just ordered an i5 with an asus p7p55d deluxe mobo, and can't wait to see how it performs.

If you don't know s**t about the different brands, just pick one, cause in general they are both about evenly good.

7. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    The dimms are the slots where the ram is placed into the motherboard. Some Gigabyte boards only accept single sided ram when using all 4 slots. As you have bought ram already be sure to research whether your new board will take all the ram you have. As Gen555 said Asus is also a good choice. Take a look at EVGA too, very good gaming boards.

8. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Another plus for the Gigabyte boards i forgot to.mention. Dual Bios, two bios chips. If the first is corrupted or badly flashed then good bios is loaded from the bakup chip. A very handy feature i think.......

9. gschandel

gschandel MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2010
    But non of them are supporting VGA/DVI-D/HDMI options and onboard graphics for my monitor I just bought.

Is there any motherboard which has VGA/DVI-D/HDMI sockets onboard and onboard graphics too?

I am looking for P45, Q43, Q45 and B43 series as these has VT-x which is also must have option for me.

Any guesses? :eek:

10. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #10 genuine555, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
    Asus boards have similar features, like Maximus II formula and p5q series, and some others.
    In fact, they are highly recommendable for a q-series quadcore.

If you want VT-x, you need to worry about the processor supporting it, not the motherboard.

for gigabyte, GA-EP45-UD3P is a very solid and reliable board. Has dual bios, a good range of oc-features, off course VT-x if your cpu supports it.
    Asus, look at p5q deluxe or Asus Maximus II formula. Both have dual bios feature, solid and rockstable oc capabilities, VT-x...

Really, for a good mobo, even between asus and gigabyte, choices are plenty.
    It's getting the rest of the hardware tuned to your mobo that'll show it's true potential.
    Much more important.

You always need to do some research before you start buying.
    This is to ensure you have a fine tuned system.

First determine what kind of rig you want/need/can afford.
    Then based on that, pick a mobo that will suit your needs. Consider things like price, features, FSB speed, SLI, Raid, (e-)SATA,...

Now you need to determine what kind of mem you need to suit the mobo : ddr/ddr2/ddr3, pc800/pc1066/pc1333, latency timings,...
    And make sure your the sticks you want to buy are compatible by checking your mobo's QVL (Quality Vendor's List).
    (Not listed ram could work, but you won't be certain untill you try).

Then choose a cpu that will also support same FSB speed and things like VT-x, which type (c2d/quad/i5/i7),...

If you want to oc, consider ram that's clocked slightly higher then mobo/cpu FSB.

If you're a gamer, graphics are of essence, and you will need a top-ranged card, preferably ATI (or two when SLI/crossfire).
    If you're not a gamer, just buy a budget or lower ranged card for a few quid, and you'll still be better of then you'd be with onboard graphics.

Throw in a decent PSU with high efficienty output rate, and determine it's output wattage.
    There are several psu calculators available on the web for free.

Some additional/custom fans or heatsinks for cooling when oc'ing (CPU, case, nb/sb, hdd, ram, gpu,...)

when you have stuff like that sorted out, you start looking at decent places to buy from.
    These are just very basic steps...

In your case, you'll have to go through the list backwards. See which mobo will suit your hardware and wanted extra's/features best.

11. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    FYI, the Gigabyte board i mentioned does support hdmi, dvi and vga onboard. I know this because i have this board. However as Gen said if your gaming you WILL want a decent gpu, onboard isn't man enough for the job.

12. gschandel

gschandel MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2010
    I have selected Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 which supports VT-x and if I choose the M/Board which supports VT-x too (Only P45, B43, Q43 and Q45 supports VT-x) then only I will be able to communicate the CPU and M/Board in order to get the 100% results.

Secondly, I want on-board Graphics card with HD Audio support [Both] in order to avoid buying other G/A-cards.

If I can get one M/Board which has VGA/DVI-D/HDMI/USB Support on-board, it will be an advantage for me as I have monitor which has these options.

I think if I give what I have selected for myself, will help you to suggest me the perfect m/Board (I am ready to pay what it takes to get the perfect M/Board)

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 (6M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
    - Crucial 8GB (4X2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Ballistix Memory CL4 2.0V
    - Philips 230C1HSB 23" Full HD LCD Monitor 1920x1080 12000:1 (Dynamic) 300cd/m2 2ms VGA/DVI-D/HDMI/USB Multimedia Glossy Black

Now, I want a M/Board which supports these items and must have VT-x, on-board Graphics, HD Audio and must be one of B43, P45, Q43 and Q45 chipsets.

Guys plz help me here as I am stuck in this M/Board selection from one week and haven't got any good result.