HELP! insyde F.1B recovery with USB

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kuroyume87, Jul 28, 2013.

1. kuroyume87

kuroyume87 MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2013
    So, I have an HP dv7 6189sl laptop with a F.1B bios. Today my bios bricked and I need to recover it. I found a guide to the usb recovery procedure. I downloaded the bios service pack from the hp web site, but when i explore the content of the "SP 55068" i can't find any .FD file I should be suppose to rename into .BIN and copy in my usb... I don't know where to find the .FB file!

I hope this is the right session, please any help would be GREATLY appreciated! m(_ _)m

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Link to the Bios by writing Hxxp instead of Http and then address .. The model you have is not sold in US so I can't look at exact bios but the HP Pavilion dv7-6185us Entertainment Notebook

Bios has bin file present when using 7zip to "extract here" cmd

3. kuroyume87

kuroyume87 MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2013
    First of all, thank you so much for you quick reply.Here is the link to my laptop bios SP download page:

hxxp://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-100034-1&cc=it&dlc=it&lc=it&os=4063&product=5170956&sw_lang=

(change hxxp with http, the page is in italian)

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  5. kuroyume87

kuroyume87 MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2013
    #6 kuroyume87, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks Tito.. Well.. I'll have to wait for a friend to lend me his notebook then, because.. -.- I am now using an old netbook and my NET framework is too old to install UEFI. But for the moment, I'll try and use phoenixtool on the BIOS service pack I've downloaded from HP (the same one you've linked).

Again, thank you so much, and I really hope this will work out...

EDIT Thanks redRoad.. I'm trying that right now

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Welcome.

Actually there is only one *.bin file inside the package which is the bios file.

8. kuroyume87

kuroyume87 MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2013
    Ehm.. LATIN, does the decripted file provided by your link allow me to skip the whole phoenixtool part of the procedure? (hope so).

Anyway, under the battery of my laptop I read the following: REV: "3389-110" Doesn't seem to match with those you have listed T_T

PS Anyway Tito you are right,I have a .bin file inside the service pack: "01658.bin". So that is the one I should run with phoenixtool? (In case, tomorrow, as this dang netbook doesn't run phoenixtool either T_T

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  10. kuroyume87

kuroyume87 MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2013
    T_T I am so thankful to you all for helping me out, and yet I am getting confused. Forgive me for being so dumb. But I was sure the bios version was the right one: F.1b (sp55068) is the only one available for download on the hp driver page for my laptop (again: dv7 6189sl). Although, as I stated on the first post, it's an update. My pc came packaged with a previos bios version. So can't I restore Bios using sp55068? Do I need a previous package, like F.1A or F.14 (wouldn't know where to download them tho).

Also, If I do actually use sp55068, should I rename the files with the REV written under my battery (that,with a 0 at the beginning, would be 03389.bin and 03389.sig), even though it's not listed between the compatible platforms? Ugh:shutup:

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  12. kuroyume87

kuroyume87 MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2013
    Lol.. I downloaded all the 3 service packs (F.14, F.1A and F.1B) and checked their platform.ini files. My mobo id (3389) is nowhere to be found. I suppose I'll just have to name the 2 files you have kindly provided me "03389.BIN" and "03389.SIG" (Exactly like that, capital letters?) and hope it works that way...Or else just leave the 01658 code. My friend will be here with his laptop at 5 o'clock in the morning... approx. 4 hours starting from NOW (I am italian but living in Japan.. what a mess lol). I'll create the usb with UEFI as soon as he gets here and tell you how it goes... finger crossed... And I'll take a nap now -.-

PS I feel compelled to offer at least a beer to every single one of you... although I don't really know how to physically do it -.-

PPS and slightly off topic. Latin, on a side note, I checked that topic you've linked, of the guy complaining about the laptop and the f****n ATI hd6770m 2gb.YES, EXACTLY.. I've been swearing 2 years without being able to get my crappy machine work properly. Also thanks to HP for not updating drivers for the crappy switchable graphic system...

13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  14. kuroyume87

kuroyume87 MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2013
    #15 kuroyume87, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
    (OP)
    I am back with some bad news T_T

Using my friend's laptop and UEFI I made a flash USB. I took the 2 files kindly provided by Latin, tried to rename "03389.bin" and "03389.SIG", but my laptop INGORED the usb completely. So I just tried to leave them with their original version number: "01658.bin" and "01658.SIG". I gave it 2 tries: first time the computer made some LOUD noises, started the bios recovery process, but after some seconds gave me the message: "the system BIOS recovery failed". upon checking the usb, it was all messed up: illegible name insted of "HP_TOOLS and a bunch of strange files inside. Tried the whole procedure again, the hp bios update screen popped again and again the recovery failed. This time the USB content got no harm whatsoever, anyway. But the recovery fails, and the computer keeps trying again and again until I forcefully shut it down T_T Any idea?

EDIT

I should add something important, as on the .ini register inside "BIOS update" section of the HP_UTILITY i found this log: "signature of BIOS image failed verification".

The BIOS I have currently installed (and bricked) is a modded version of F.1B, of which I had the original. I had downloaded it from this web syte in order to get rid of the white list and install an ssd hard disk. May that be the issue?

I am getting desperate T_T

15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    bad ram stick likely

weird that it takes 01658 .. btw the files i linked is the latest 1b version.
    try the first version

16. kuroyume87

kuroyume87 MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2013
    #17 kuroyume87, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    (OP)
    LATIN! MY savior! bad ram stick you say? thaat rings something. It happened once that i had to reseat the 2 4gb RAM sticks cause the computer didn't boot. Do you suggest to try and reseat them again before re-attempting flash procedure?

Also, I'd like to try and run the previos bios version, but I am not able to use phoenix tool. I run the .bin file with phoenix tool (i provide the path on the "original" tab of the program), but i get this error: message: "Not phoenix/Dell/Insyde/EFI BIOS" . EHM.. is there a place from where i can download the already DECrypted F.1A or F.14?

I know I am pathetic, but please keep enlightening meo_O

EDIT Also looks like if I don't format USB and recreate HP_TOOLS everytime the bios recovery fails, the next time I try doesn't read the usb anymore. Have to format it and recreate it from scratch in order for it be read again. Possible?

17. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  18. kuroyume87

kuroyume87 MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2013
    #19 kuroyume87, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    (OP)
    [..] Anyway, I'll try out the F.1A version and report back.

EDIT: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDD!!!!! Version F.1A worked like a charm!!!!!! (I named the BIOS file "01658" only, not "01658.BIN"). Indeed, looks like I had to flash the bios version preinstalled on the motherboard, instead of the last update! You can`t believe how much I feel relieved. For 2 years my hp laptop gave me so much nuisances, but since moving to Japan I had gradually came to consider it a window to my country and family and friends... since I always use it to keep in touch with them. It`s not rational or anything, but I almost shed tears when I finally saw the desktop animating again....

I can`t full express my gratitude with words (esp with my crappy English). Especially to you, Latin. Hadn`t you dedicacated me so much of your time and decrypted the mods versions in my place, I would had been forever stuck with a 700 euros piece of crap -.-

19. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #20 LatinMcG, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    thanks.. weird that it did not need .bin.. i wonder if its hidden extensions.

go to start.. type folder options and in View tab uncheck :hide file xtensions for known type"
    then check the usb stick files.

and dont worry about the beer.. by the way i would get a kick off a picture of u handing a coffee mug to them warm spring monkeys.
    Jigokudani_hotspring_in_Nagano_Japan_001.jpg
    with a quote " ahh hard day ? here u go"

LOL umm dont actually hand it to him (for peta compliance :p )
    and bring a taser in case he gets ninja monkey on you! :ninja_hide: