Help Making A .Reg File Or .Bat File

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by uffbros, May 30, 2018.

1. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I want to create a file that will delete the following registry entry when I desire.
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify\IconStreams
    Can someone make one for me to accomplish this? Would it be a .bat file or a .reg file to do this? Thanks.

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Can be CMD or REG:
    CMD:
    Code:
    @echo off
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify\IconStreams" /f
    exit

REG:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify\IconStreams]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    "Notification Area - Remove Past Icons from List" . If you have items in Past Items that are have long ago been removed from the system and want to remove them from the list.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    The CMD one you list..I know I copy this into notepad..but what do I save it as? .bat or .cmd?

5. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    As you like. I tend to name them CMD so would use something like iconstreamsdelete.cmd.

Make sure 'hide extensions for known file types' is disabled in Folder Options to not create file.cmd.txt.

6. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    Them scripts don't remove the registry entry that I show path too. Can you take a look at the path and determine why?

7. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Did you run as admin via right-click?

8. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    It worked for me using the Administrator account. :)

9. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    Yes I did..Tried it on both..then end task on explorer...then open explorer again. If I go in and delete that entry named IconStreams..It works

10. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    I am the administrator..If I have to do that I mize well just manually go in and do it as I do now??

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You may be administrator, but it doesn't mean the same, what the command "Run as administrator" means.
    Why You don't use for this for example CCleaner?

12. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    CCleaner worked...Thanks