Help me activate windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mamamia88, Dec 26, 2009.

1. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    today i received a netbook with windows 7 starter for christmas. in an attempt too delete the recovery partition so i had all the hd space in one partition i ended up messing something up and windows would no longer boot. i have a copy of windows 7 that i already installed on my laptop that i bought from digital river with the college student offer. the thing is the copy i own is home premium and i already used the activation key on my laptop. and the activation key for starter edition won't work because i am trying to activate home premium can someone help me? i am so close to giving up and just installing ubuntu

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    yeah that was the error i was getting. so i just decided to reinstall and now i just have a copy of windows 7 installed that won't activate with the key i got from microsoft

4. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #4 HotCarl, Dec 26, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
    Is your HomePremium key a retail key or a COA key? It should be a retail if you bought it online separate from a computer...

Well, now you have a problem. If your HomePremium key is a retail key you should be able to use it again. If it is a COA key, or it wont let you activate with it normally, then do a phone activation and call up MS, tell them that you had to reinstall your HomePremium on your PC because the last installation went belly up or something. You just need to give them a good excuse if you use the key and normal activation will not work online...

5. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    lol i just used the program a few threads down did the job fine.

6. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    A loader will work too. I was just trying to get you genuine retail activation is all ;)

7. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    i just hope it doesn't have any performance hit. i tried chatting with samsung customer support to get them to send me a copy of starter but they where completely useless saying things like "yes you can install windows 7 on your netbook" or " you will have to call microsoft" totally useless and i know ms support is worse making your recite some crazy 50 digit numbers to guys who barerly speak english

8. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    There will be no performance hit...just it may take a half a second longer to boot (at the most :p)...lol

The only reason I told you to phone activate is in order to get your Windows activated as a retail version...so you do not have to worry about the possibility of becoming deactivated some day *if* the loader you are using gets detected by MS via future Windows Updates. That is all.

No worries buddy, the loader should work fine for you. If you ever become deactivated, then try my suggestion ;)

9. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    it's a netbook i use it for surfing the web i don't plan on updating the thing no real point. but thanks for all your help.

10. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    Then be sure set your updates to manual...or you will have no choice in the matter ;)

No problem. Enjoy your netbook :D

11. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    LOL good thing you dident get a car you probally would of thrown out the spare tire to make room in the trunk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...