Help me restore Windows icons!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MonarchX, Jan 28, 2015.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    After install StarDock Icon Packager, disliking it, reverting back to Windows default icons, and finally uninstalling Icon Packager, I was left with somewhat messed up icons. Right now .exe files without specified icons that usually come with .exe files are using a chess figure icon... Unknown file formats now use shield with Windows squares inside them. That was definitely NOT the case before the Icon Packager was installed. I think the icons I described are the only ones different from original Windows state though. It does affect a whole lot of files and the shield + squares affects every single unknown format, so I have no idea how to fix this... Is there a way?

2. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I tried to purge Icon Cache, using these commands I found on TechNet site through CMD (Ran in normal User Mode and As Administrator):
    cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    attrib –h IconCache.db
    del IconCache.db
    start explorer

But the command "attrib –h IconCache.db" results with an error "Parameter format not correct - "

C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local folder on my PC does NOT have IconCache.db file, even when I made sure absolutely ALL files were made visible... Is this bad? Can I download one? I found some forums where it was said that deleting that file should result in re-building upon next restart, but I simply do not have it...

4. Aninvitedsoul

Sep 14, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Aemsa

Aemsa MDL Member

Feb 17, 2014
    I may be already deleted, just reboot and let windows re-create it.

6. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    No. It does not appear after reboot.

7. Aninvitedsoul

Sep 14, 2012
  8. Aninvitedsoul

Sep 14, 2012
    It should work on Win 8 too as MS confirms.:g:

9. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    The issue comes from IconPackager. I downloaded and registered the very latest version and it simply assigns those icons to those files as a Windows default. It considers the to be Windows defaults. It also allows to rebuild the icon cache, which, after a restart, does NOT bring back the original icons.

10. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Icon Cache Rebuilder says "Icon Cache Detected" but the REBUILD button is grayed-out - no way to press it. What the hell is going on...

11. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #12 MonarchX, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    (OP)
    Hahaha! What a joke! I decided that maybe just settling for using IconPackager and using some nice theme, but no theme replaces the shield + windows colors icon that persists on all unknown file formats and MS-DOS .exe files. Stupid STUPID Stardock and STUPID ASS ME!

EDIT: Bah, I can manually change icons in IconPackager to what I want them to be, which works great because I can select the default icon for just a few types (like Default icon for unknown file formats) and it will set everything right, BUT if I want to uninstall IconPackager, then it will set Windows icons to defaults, which includes those NON-default icons IconPackager THINKS are default....

12. Aninvitedsoul

Sep 14, 2012
    I'm afraid you should consider refreshing your OS or reinstall;that's what i would do.

13. Aninvitedsoul

Sep 14, 2012

Thank you for the feedback.:worthy:

14. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Your thread " 3rd party themes, icons, and similar changes? "

As I said back on Dec.2014 "I don't mess with this kinda stuff, from experience. "

The struggle to correct everything may not. A reinstall is more efficient than the struggle is worth.
    If you want to play, use Hyper-V and see what happens. Easier that way.
    Good luck and wish you a full recovery.

15. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Well, I couldn't fix everything. My OS will still using a shield icon for unknown file formats, but that is no big deal as long as known file formats use the right icons. I ended up installing a 3rd party Icon Pack that looks fabulous and contains pretty much an icon for each file type, unlike others that have only a few and look crappy when they are mixed with Windows default icons. There is no IconPackager service, no IconPackager startup item, no additional process upon restart, which means its not using system resources all that much.

Re-install of Windows is a major 4-5 hours hassle for an OCD person. Windows re-install itself is under 6 minutes off USB 3.0 HyperDrive, but the rest of the stuff takes forever because of the manner in which I perform "The Cleansing". I have a slow 700Kbytes/sec down DSL connection. Updating takes a good 90 minutes if not more because even the latest releases contain a TON of missing updates that go all the way to 2013 at times. First I run Windows Update normally and download whichever updates it tells to a point where it no longer finds any updates. Then I keep many updates on my storage drive that install even on fully updated (Update 3) OS Windows 8.1 release because when it says "Includes all updates until January 13, 2015", its a BIG FAT LIE or ELSE many OLD updates would NOT be installable. Quite a few 2013 updates and 2014 updates install on these "Full Updated" release even AFTER running Windows Update! Finally, I reach a point at which no updates install and Windows Update no longer finds updates to install. I make sure to install NET Framework 3.5 and 4.6 Beta/Preview in addition to C++ Redist. package. Then come numerous tweaks and things like creating Auto-Login, removing Login Screen, disabling OneDrive, etc. etc. etc... Don't forget instal Firefox and Chrome, importing Favorites, making sure I logged in most websites I visit, all the add-ons installed.... I mean I don't remember everything, but it comes to me as I do it all...Eventually I run WinSxS Base reset.

Then comes to temp file cleansing phase. I use CCleaner, CCEnhancer, UnCleaner, and JV16 PowerTools. CCleaner + CCEnhancer get rid of most of the crap, but there are files that need manual cleaning. Then I use JV16 PowerTools to clean registry and defrag it.

I have to re-install every program I have (except for games), "Register" them, apply all the settings, tweaks, optimizations to all those programs, and create proper shortcuts in a specific order because I use 7Stacks. I have to install each and every driver properly, apply all the driver settings, etc. All these programs include MS Office, so that comes with the need for numerous updates. All that takes another 2 hours because I have a TON of programs I absolutely NEED.

Eventually I reach a stage where I apply cosmetic changes and then do a full system drive backup with Acronis True Image (latest version and "registration"). I make a backup image of that semi-perfect state where everything WORKS like it should. I cannot just use my OS up until I perform ALL that and feel at peace. I make sure NOT to disable any services or apply something permission changing, but I do apply SAFE tweaks. which are mostly SSD tweaks through Samsung Magician. I don't install games before I do my backup because they take way too much space.

Then I have to install games and that requires downloading at times. Sure SSD makes it easier and quicker, but it is still a pain in the ass to get all the games I want to play re-downloaded. I have to make all the config changes, paste all the savegame files, apply whichever tweaks, etc...

By the end of the day I am SO damn exhausted I can't move... The next I still find things to do, but from then I can actually USE my computer normally. The crappy thing is that my Acronis True Image does not include Games and I only preserve 1 original before any tweaks applied, and then I keep one I update every 2 months or so. Last time I updated one had the icon problem already because it was not a big deal for me. I could restore the very original one, but then I would need to re-install the damn games, updates, software updates, etc. since I created it like 4 months ago. I just cannot be bothered!

16. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    image the drive for backup once a week and revert anytime you like, for next time lol.

I keep minimum of 2 full drive images, beginning of the month and end. Anything major changed Ill add another in the middle as needed, such as adding anything that changes the system :D

17. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Backing up a system is standard practice if you want to muck with experimental software or better to use hyper-V for experimenting.
    I have 4 bootable partitions on 4 drives and full back-up of the primary drive, with 4 bootable vhdx drives and a recovery wim on a DVD.

18. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Thing is that this is not really experimental... Stardock is known to be the best maker of Windows GUI-altering programs. It shouldn't mess up icons in the first place. I have a legit latest version of several of their apps and so far IconPackager is the only one that messed up my OS SLIGHTLY. Not to mention that I created a backup that already included messed up icons because I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I also assumed I could get them back. Oh well, now I get to use 3rd party icons, which aren't that bad!

19. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    What's important here is that through experience you have learned something. Hopefully next time you will be able to apply those leanings.