Help me understand Windows 8 SL edition

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Baghi, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    #1 Baghi, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    Hi, I need your help to understand few things in above said version of Microsoft Windows.

I understand SL stands for Single Language,

1. Does SL comes with Windows 8 Pro like the "N" version?
    2. Is it the key which decides the version or the installation media? e.g. what if I install the OS from Windows 8 standard ISO file?
    3. Is it the Retail license or bound to your motherboard?

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Single Language is only available in Windows 8 (Core) versions.
    It's a different SKU.

It's basically the same as normal Core except that you cannot activate it using a Core key or the other way around.
    The most notable thing about Single Language versions are the complete lack of ability to change the language.

AFAIK only OEM systems such as laptops come in the Core Single Language variety and are meant to be a cheaper version for OEM system builders to install.
    OEM is activated similarly to a Retail key in that it contacts the activation server, sends them some data to identify things, and ties the key to the machine used to activate.

It does not seem to come in any N versions that I'm aware of.

3. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Single language editions are delivered with OEM laptop only , the key is fixed in bios and there is no possibility to change the OS language.

4. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Addition to the previous posts: leaked windows 8.1 SL editions has the ability to be upgraded to core/pro/pro with media center

5. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    #5 Baghi, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    (OP)
    Oh I see.

So, once activated on a specific hardware it won't work if you upgrade your PC (motherboard, and etc), or even install it on a VirtualBox VM.

Alright.

Actually I already have bought a Windows 8 Pro retail few nights back, I need another copy for my brother. Windows 8 SL is significantly cheaper than the Pro version.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I would grab a copy of Windows 8 pro as its easy to activate with mtk.

Looking at this copy of windows 8 SL. I honestly don't like it at all as it feels too constraining license wise. Hmm you could just down right pirate windows 8 for what its worth. This is basically the place to figure out how to use tools on forum to get windows activated as I won't come out and say the w word lol.

Or are we going through this the legit way licensing wise?

7. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Of course legit licensing. I'm not a lawyer, but I always try to minimize the piracy as much as possible. Anyway, I'm not a system builder nor the person who stays with a specific hardware for too long so keeping this in mind, if Win8 SL comes with OEM licensing it's a no-go for me.

Thanks for your reply. :)

8. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I would say windows 8 SL is not OEM reliant so you can change the hardware but it would require re activation of the product which shouldn't be a problem as I do it occasionally myself.

If I'm thinking about this correctly should just act like a regular retail key.

9. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for. My Win8 Pro retail doesn't even ask me to click the "activate now" button, all I've to do is just put the key during setup and it automatically activates regardless the hardware (tried even on VirtualBox VMs).

10. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    Windows 8 Single Language is simply Windows 8 Starter. It's an OEM version which comes with new computers and laptops.

I think that this SKU haven't support for adding other languages.

11. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Dang it. Now I'm more confused. So it's an OEM for system builders or one time personal build?

12. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    #12 adit123tya, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    you can go for core if you don't want to buy pro, core and coreSL are same accept that coreSL doesnot allow you to have more than 1 language....:)

13. secretromeo

secretromeo MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    Hey people, do you know why most laptops come with Windows 8 SL edition? No? Because SL stands for 's**t Loaded' (No offence to Windows 8). Think of all the crap-ware OEMs load on your laptops! :D

14. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    SL is not loaded because crapware can be installed on it... it can be installed on other SKU's as well. The only reason is it is cheaper as compared to other SKU's

15. secretromeo

secretromeo MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    I know........

16. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I only have the option to choose either CoreSL or Pro, unfortunately.