HELP! Migrated Primary Drive ...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DeathStalker77, May 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DeathStalker77

DeathStalker77 MDL Senior Member

Nov 8, 2009
    but now the migrated drive does not show as "System, Boot, Page File, Active, Primary Partition" - it only shows as "Active, Primary Partition"

The migration went fine, but I went from a 200gb drive to a 500gb drive and the migration set the new drive as a 200gb partition and unallocated the rest. At that point, everything was fine - then I used Windows 7's built-in function to extend the partition and that's when I lost the other attributes. I tried using the Win7 disc to Repair it, but it did not work.

Any assistance at this point would be *greatly* appreciated!

Thanks!

2. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Used Paragon - cloned the disc fine - but than had 3 partitions on the new drive when I only wanted 2. Tried wiping it & re-running it, but stilll appears only as "Active, Primary Partition". Also looked at OO DiscImage - didn't see the appropriate options there either. Guess I'll look at Ghost.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You say you cloned drive it had 3 partitions are you sure after cloning you didn't remove the 100mb hidded boot partition. If it had one.

4. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    #5 DeathStalker77, May 3, 2010
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
    (OP)
    I have had ZERO luck trying to replace my primary drive with a clone on a larger drive. I have tried Paragon, Ghost 15, OO DiscImage - NOTHING is working. I can get the data copied, I can do a "back-up", but I cannot seem to get a "proper" complete clone with all the attributes of the original drive.

I'm at my wits' end right now - the primary drive is failing and I really don't want to have to do a complete re-install.

I'm trying Macrium now.

And no, I didn't remove the 100mb hidden boot partition - when I extended the partition, it "automatically" because its own drive.

No, Macrium didn't work - all it wants to do is create a back-up image file.

I don't understand why this is SUCH a hassle! :(

5. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #6 kubato, May 3, 2010
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
    Paragon will allow you to set your drive as primary but, it is hard to find.
    Use Acronis True image Server and pick Clone drive not backup, before cloning make sure you remove everything as far as partitions go on the new drive. Make sure you bios is setup to work with Acronis as far as IDE legacy and no AHCI.
    OH, you can use a free Clonezilla that works great but, it is command prompt only. Make sure you know which is primary before using Clonezilla.
    I would try Acronis first.

6. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    join the Neosmart forum and download the latest EasyBCD - EasyBCD 2.0 Beta - Build 93.exe , it has an option to change the boot drive and may fix your problem.

7. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Ah, would have gone with Acronis, but didn't see that option. Ended up re-doing it with Paragon - then, wonderfully, somehow I had *two* unbootable drives. Win7 disc wouldn't fix either. Thought everything was lost.

Then had a friend suggest I try disconnecting the rest of the drives (the other *10*). Tunnel Vision - that allowed the Win7 disk to properly fix each drive (separately), and I'll just live with the extra partition on the main drive - I've been through enough with it, lol.

Live & learn. (and a 2nd set of eyes never hurts)

8. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Dude, you said you may have tried this already but I had to replace my harddrive because my old one was dying and I used Paragon's Partition Manager 10 Extended Boot Disk and I was able to clone a 1 TB HDD that had one partition with XP, one with Win7, and another one was empty for backups. It worked flawlessly and I was able to boot my computer like I did not even change the harddrive at all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Hmmm, I must have missed something somewhere then. Not sure where. Maybe you could post some screenshots of the steps you took (or maybe I'm just the only dummy who's managed to screw this up?) Either way, I think it might help someone in the future (or at least save them some time). :)

10. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    well basically, I downloaded a warez copy of the boot ISO and then burned and booted it. When I got in I went to "Partition Manager" from there I went to some option(I believe it was under "TOOLS") and selected "Partition for Partition Clone" or "Drive for Drive Clone." I forget which but it actually copied everything from my private files to the actual partition table data and boot files. It was like literally copying everything from one drive to the next except the serial lol. I can try to help you but I have to review it because it's been several months since I did that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes, that is the safest way, I always use a cd boot to clone drive and disconnect all except for the two that I am working with. I have been cloning for too many years and hate the move from cloning to backups. For future refrence go to your favorite download site and (H33T) search for Acronis Ultimate Boot CD . That has every Acronis soft you could ever need. Some of the Acronis older soft does not work with newer machines so you have to config the bios to the older settings like no AHCI and Legacy IDE for the soft to work. Clonezilla kicks butt but, requires to to keep you eyes open, no toking or drinking while using clonezilla as it is command only and asks alot of questions. Paragon is great German soft and works great but, has some weird places where you have to go to make certain settings. If you cannot find a tool then keep looking as Paragon is fairly up to date. I always recommend the server based versions as they give more choices.
    Good Luck

12. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Does the Acronis Ultimate Boot CD work with USB wireless mouses? I tried Acronis TrueImage Home 2010 and I would not use the boot options because my mouse and keyboard did not work because they are USB wireless devices.

13. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #14 kubato, May 4, 2010
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
    If I ever had a complaint about Acronis software, this is it. I actually keep a p/s 2 mouse with ball and p/s 2 Led mouse just for this problem.
    If you really want a laugh the down load the (H33T) search for Acronis Ultimate Boot CD, this has about 10 different versions of Acronis software. If you boot into each one you will see that some work and some do not work with usb. It is possible to use the keyboard but, I never use a usb keyboard.
    I always carry a p/s 2 keyboard in my toolkit so I do not have these issues. Paragon has addressed all these issues, this is why I keep a complete set of Acronis server sets and Paragon server sets. If your bios has the usb mouse keyboard option then they should work but, like I said try the software and you can test all the software from Acronis.