HELP Need Help On Stopping CPU Fan From Speeding Up And Slowing Down

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by darren2010, Jul 3, 2011.

1. darren2010

darren2010 MDL Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Help My CPU Fan Speeds Up And Slows Down On Windows 7 Ultimate I Want To Know How To Stop This From Happening Or Is Something Going Out On My Computer Its Driving Me Crazy/

2. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Try looking in the BIOS for options related to the fans

3. wade7575

wade7575 MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2010
    It should be in the Power setting of your Bios under Hardware Monitor depending on your Bios brand it could be something different but that would be a place to start.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Opus

Opus MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    First of all you need to look at the wires motherboard and processor fan? If these are 4 (one blue) AND your motherboard has 4 pins on the CPU fan plug, then the motherboard likely has fan-speed control. Automatically adjusts the CPU fan speed according to CPU temp, keeps the temp within safe range. If the fan does NOT have 4 wires, then the fan is bad OR the system voltage is too low to run the fan AND your system. Probably you should look at BIOS SETUP ----> health monitor "page" for temperatures. If those are normal then you shouldn't worry about fan speed.

Moreover if your system shuts down after 15 seconds to a couple of minutes then your motherboard capacitors are blown away. Although hope for the best; a simple treatment with blower or vacuum cleaner can fix the dust problems, if you have.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mobsta

mobsta MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2010
    The posters above have given you good suggestions, but it would make our jobs much easier if you included the specs of the computer in your post. Since it could even be a laptop and some of the Opus's suggestions would not be possible to check without completely dismantling the notebook.

6. darren2010

darren2010 MDL Member

Feb 26, 2010
    My Computer Is A HP a1410n Desktop Computer The CPU Fan Wires Only Have 3 Wires BLACK RED AND WHITE I believe I have 2 gigs of Memory On It And The Fan And Motherboard Are Free Of Dust and so is the rest of the computer is dust free my system dont shut down and the computer is 6 years old it was bought in 2006.Its Just The Damn Fan Speeds Up and slows Also Do You Think It Might Be The Video Card Causing The Problem Its built in Its An NVIDIA 6150LE Video Card I Have The Latest Video Driver For It Fron Nvidia.com Its 275.50 Driver

7. Opus

Opus MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Your video card may have its own heat-sink fan so it's not directly connected to your CPU fan. If it has three wires and it's slowing down/speeding up on its own then you need not to worry about fan speed as long as your OS is running smoothly. You can check the temperatures of your processor from your BIOS or use any free program like HWinfo or PC Wizard both are good for temperatures. If the processor temperature is not exceeding 200 F/90 C under load then you system is fine and let it run like that because CPU fans don't run constantly at single speed in modern PCs.

8. Opus

Opus MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I knew it from his post that he can watch the fan speed so it's gotta be a desktop rather than notebook otherwise he has already dismantled the main components. ;

9. Neubie2

Neubie2 MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2011
    I have an older P4 Prescott 3.0Ghz with the stock Intel cooling fan. The Prescott cpu's were known to run extremely hot, and thus the cooling fan fluctuates with the cpu temp, all quite normal. So long as your fans keep the processor at acceptable operating temps without it shutting down on it's own, then I wouldn't worry too much. As already suggested, keep an eye on the thermal temps of your cpu with a monitoring program (I use PC Wizard) and you should be good to go.