Help needed, computer crashes after installing Windows 7 using Daz's loader

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pukk, Sep 25, 2010.

1. pukk

pukk MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2010
    Hi,
    Yesterday I installed Windows 7 64b Home Edition from the original dvd on my Asus G71G laptop and used Daz loader. Everything went well for the evening for a few hours but when I started my laptop again in the morning, it shut down without any error message after some 20 seconds of use. I tried everything I could think of and learned that the computer crashes even while in BIOS or when booting from the windows dvd. Temperatures shouldn't be a problem according to BIOS. It sounds very much like a hardware problem but then again, it worked perfectly yesterday..

I'd be very thankful if someone had any idea what this is all about. Thanks in advance!

2. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
  3. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Boot from your Windows 7 DVD and select the repair options. From the list select command prompt and then issue the command bootsect.exe /nt60 SYS and see if the system boots without crashing. If it doesn't then it could be a coinsidence because when you issue that command the loader gets disabled making it just a file on the HDD thats of no use at all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pukk

pukk MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2010
    Thank you for the replies. Tried the command prompt, but the computer crashed already during the necessary restart. I suppose it's a hardware error which causes the shut down. Is it possible that installing Win 7 could cause somthing like this? It was a clean install over a Vista 64b.

5. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Could be failed RAM or your HDD has some bad sectors as you've never run check disk?

You see at boot time the loader gets executed after the BIOS only when booting into Windows so if you do something in the BIOS screen like decide to boot from CD/DVD then the loader is never executed.

If you have a PC then you could take out the laptops HDD and then hook it up to your PC and do a complete format from there. Another suggestion may be to remove one stick of RAM, that is of course if your system currently has 2x 512MB or 2x 1GB.

You could even try taking the RAM out for 10 minutes, put it back in and then try to boot directly to your Windows 7 DVD to access the recovery options.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. fubar121

fubar121 MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2009
  7. pukk

pukk MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2010
    Thanks again for your time. Now that you mentioned, Windows does suggest check disk during the start up, but I skip it becase it never manages to finish it without crashing.
    Memtest is unfortunately quite impossible because the computer stays on maximum of few minutes at a time. I think I'll check if my warranty is still valid and then I'll think about formatting my HDD with my PC. If anyone still has any ideas, keep them coming

8. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    It's seems like you have a several hardware problems and this has nothing to do with Windows or anything. You have to fix your hardware before installing any software, your computer is not good.

9. pukk

pukk MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2010
    Yes, that would be the logical conclusion, but I'm still wondering why did the computer work well for a day before going totally kaputt

10. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    That's computers, one day they work, next they don't work. Not many weeks since I shutdown one of my laptops before I went to bed, and the next morning the laptop was dead. The mainboard was dead, and they had to replace it.