Help needed: Failed Bios upgrade on Satellite M305-S4848

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by DaDeadboy, Sep 17, 2009.

1. DaDeadboy

DaDeadboy MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    Hi, I attempted to upgrade the BIOS on my Satellite M305-S4848, I did the upgrade using a boot-able dos USB flash drive. The update was almost complete and then the system just shutdown. When I powered the system back up I was met with a blank screen and one long and two short beeps around 30 second intervals.

I then tried created a crisis recovery disk for the phoenix bios to use my usb floppy drive to recover the BIOS. The Problem I encountered was the bios file is too big for the floppy. The fn+b seems to initialize the recovery mode but I cannot get the file fitted on a floppy. So then I assumed it would support crisis recovery mode from the USB flash drive but even after formatting the flash drive it will not recognize the flash drive. It lights up for a second and then shortly after the beep sequence starts. I did this also with a cd by creating a bootable cd with the crisis recovery files, the drive spins up but still no effect. In this instant I have no beeps, the system just sits there idle. I then created a virtual floppy disk and created an image using a 2.88 mb image, created an iso using the floppy boot sector and burnt it to cd hoping the cd would emulate a floppy and initialize the sequence. This failed as well.

In short I want to know if anyone knows of any other successful method of recovery the BIOS on this series laptop or any method of recovering the BIOS of any laptop that has a 2 mb WPH BIOS file. :eek:

2. lonely

lonely MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    first make sure the flash drive is still in working condition. If it is, backup its contents and format it with a fat32 partition. Then, download the latest laptop bios from Toshiba's website and save it to the root of the drive. Then plug it in and start the laptop making sure also that the port is still functioning. Wait a couple of minutes and see what happens. System should reboot if emergency flashing is successfull

3. DaDeadboy

DaDeadboy MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    Ok, thanks for the tip but that didn't help. I formatted the flash drive as instructed and placed the bios file in the root. Booted the lappy and then after a few seconds the beep sequence started. I then renamed the file BIOS.WPH and tried it again. Same result. *sigh*

4. fred64

fred64 MDL Junior Member

May 2, 2007
    What sort of BIOS is it? there are recovery procedures available depending on the make of BIOS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DaDeadboy

DaDeadboy MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    Well guys I got around the problem I had by creating a bootable CD using the boot image I extracted from the crisis recovery floppy I created using ImgBurn. This of course extracted the boot info short of the bios.wph file that was too big to fit on the floppy causing the CRD program to fail when copying the bios.wph. Then I used Winimage and edited the floppy image type to a 2.88mb floppy, imported the bios.wph file into the image, reopened ImgBurn and created a new bootable CD image using the new 2.88mb floppy image. Booted the laptop, the fn+b key combo wasn't even needed, it automatically started reflashing the BIOS and I waited bout 5 mins just to be sure and cycled the laptop. It worked.

Thing is it worked for 2 days and just flatlined. I feel I had a problem with the motherboard from the get go.

6. ProfessorChaos

ProfessorChaos MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2010
    DaDeadboy, I know it's a long shot, but do you have an image of the ISO you used? I have the same model and I can't get it to work. I created a virtual floppy (since my system doesn't have one), created the crisis recovery floppy, mounted the image, opened ImgBurn and used the floppy to create a bootable disc, copied the correct BIOS.WPH file to the image and then burned it. I'm still getting nothing except a bunch of beeps and a black screen. If you have the ISO, I would be seriously indebted to you. Thanks in advance for checking.