Help needed for my HP Pavilion Laptop

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by saajid, Mar 25, 2014.

1. saajid

saajid MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2010
    Hi there, would be really appreciated if anybody could help me out with the following Problem:

My HP Pavilion Laptop turns on and I could see all the lights go on but there is no display in the Screen and I do not hear the Hard drive running. The Screen stays completely black.

Any input would be really appreciated and thanks in advance.

Also please forgive me if I posted in the wrong Forum.

2. saajid

saajid MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2010
    Sorry for the late reply. No, there is no beep at all.

3. matt167

matt167 MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Bricked or motherboard faliure most likely.. Plug it into a monitor to see if it's not just the screen

4. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    if it has a dedicated graphics card -- HP laptops are known for overheating and burning out the motherboard.

5. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    #6 johnye_pt, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    Try the following:
    - first connect an external monitor and THEN power on. If there's an image, either the LCD or the VGA chip are damaged;
    - remove battery, HDD and memory stick(s);
    - add 1 memory stick on 1st slot and power up;
    - still nothing? move memory stick to 2nd slot and power up;
    - still nothing? do the same with a 2nd memory stick. If you don't have a 2nd memory stick, the one that you have might me damaged;
    - still nothing? Probably the VGA chip or the motherboard is damaged, take it to a computer shop specialized in motherboard repair.

6. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    Last post was about a year ago, where I also suggested removing the HDD and saajid never replied, so I'm guessing he probably gave up and bought a new laptop. Next time make sure you're not replying to a "dead" topic with redundant info. Just saying...