Help Needed - New Laptop, No Internet.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ausernamenoonehas, Jan 16, 2016.

1. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    *Takes deep breath ...

I'll start from the beginning. Had a laptop with a separate 60GB SSD with Linux Mint 17.3 installled, that sat behind my Dell monitor, plugged into the laptop.
    Thieves broke into my home and stole the laptop, but luckily they unplugged all the cables and my 60GB SSD was left behind.
    Insurance gave me a new laptop (different model / Windows 10) and I connected my 60GB SSD with linux installed but it doesn't find ANY internet connections.

Its been a frustrating few days. Google search "Linux, no wired, no ethernet, no wifi ...connection" bring up pages and pages of what I'll try and be calm and call useless information. Not once can I find any information that plainly says - this is how you set up wifi, this is how you find drivers, this is how you connect via ethernet cable ...

From what I can gather on the old laptop, the network drivers where installed, plugged into this new laptop, those drivers won't work with new/different hardware? Everything else works, just no internet. That's including plugging in an ethernet cable directly from router into laptop.

I've tried driver manager. It tells me to plug in ethernet cable or install disk. So I plug in both the ethernet cable and the install USB, it does something and shows me alternative videocard drivers I can try ...

Is there a page, somewhere, that will give me plain instructions on how I can find what network hardware this new laptop has, and find and install the correct drivers for it? Or am I going about it wrong?

I've spent the last few days getting rid of Windows 10 Home the new laptop came with, and the last 2 days trying to get this 60GB SSD with Linux installed to work with this new laptop.

Cheers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #2 John Sutherland, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Hello ausernamenoonehas - Unless you can come up with the exact brand and model of the wi-fi adapter that's installed you're just spinning your wheels. Try entering " sudo lshw -c network " in the Terminal and see what it spits out. It should list the necessary information for both your ethernet device and your wi-fi device. Example:

john@john-ThinkPad-T400 ~ $ sudo lshw -c network
    [sudo] password for john:
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection < Here
    vendor: Intel Corporation < And here
    physical id: 19
    bus info: pci@0000:00:19.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 03
    serial: xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx < MAC address removed
    capacity: 1Gbit/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e1000e driverversion=2.3.2-k firmware=1.8-3 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
    resources: irq:28 memory:fc000000-fc01ffff memory:fc025000-fc025fff ioport:1840(size=32)
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    product: PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection <Here
    vendor: Intel Corporation < And here
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    logical name: wlan0
    version: 00
    serial: xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx < MAC address removed
    width: 64 bits
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=3.19.0-32-generic firmware=8.83.5.1 build 33692 ip=< ip address removed > latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
    resources: irq:32 memory:f4300000-f4301fff

It's more than likely that your old laptop and the new one have two different wi-fi adapters and use two different drivers. Also note that there are several wi-fi adapters that do not have open-source Linux drivers available for them; most Broadcom and a couple of Intel wi-fi devices come to mind here. Instead, the kernel module ndiswrapper is installed and allows you to use Windows-based drivers in a Linux environment. You can check this by entering " dkms status " and see if the kernel module ndiswrapper is listed. Example:

john@john-ThinkPad-T400 ~ $ dkms status
    acpi-call, 1.1.0, 3.19.0-32-generic, x86_64: installed
    ndiswrapper, 1.59, 3.19.0-32-generic, x86_64: installed < kernel module ndiswrapper installed
    tp-smapi, 0.41, 3.19.0-32-generic, x86_64: installed (original_module exists)
    vboxhost, 5.0.2, 3.19.0-32-generic, x86_64: installed
    virtualbox-guest, 5.0.4, 3.19.0-32-generic, x86_64: installed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    #3 Superfly, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    @ausernamenoonehas

Are you able to get WiFi via Live USB?

Basic drivers are installed during installation from the iso.

I would recommend backup with Aptik then do a fresh install and restore.

4. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
    Sorry for the long delay, I've been REALLY stressed and fighting with Windows 10 for the last few days. I cannot stress how much I loath Windows 10 ...

John Sutherland:

*-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Network controller
    product: Qualcomm Atheros
    vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
    bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
    version: 32
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:Dc200000-dc3fffff
    *-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Ethernet controller
    product: Qualcomm Atheros
    vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
    bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
    version: 10
    capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:Dc400000-dc43ffff ioport:D000(size=128)
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 2
    bus info: usb@1:2
    logical name: wlan1
    serial: 30:85:a9:37:b8:49
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt2800usb driverversion=3.19.0-32-generic firmware=0.29 ip=192.168.0.17 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn

The last one in the list is an ASUS USB-N66 Dual-Band Adapter called, ASUS Wireless N900, that I dug out of the cupboard as a last resort to try and get this Linux Mint install connected online.

There are still no native drivers installed for the onboard netword card for this laptop. The laptop is the MSI GT72 6QD Dominator.

I've searched for Atheros drivers for Linux Mint, but I'm a noob when it comes to linux and I don't know what, or how to install anything through terminal. And believe me, I've had a bash at it, god only knows what damage I've done thus far ...

o_O

5. John Sutherland

Oct 15, 2014
    #5 John Sutherland, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  6. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
    Yes its the version :)

3.19.0-32-generic

7. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    I had a Dell computer that didn't load the wifi driver (3.19 Linux kernel). My ethernet cable did work, however. As soon as I updated the kernel to 4.3.3 wifi was recognized and everything worked fine. This happened with several distros. Some other distros did recognize the wifi with the 3.19 kernel, so it was kind of a mystery.

8. John Sutherland

Oct 15, 2014
    #8 John Sutherland, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  9. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
  10. John Sutherland

Oct 15, 2014
    #10 John Sutherland, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  11. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
    Thankfully I did as you said and made a backup. No go on the kernel update :(

After the update all I get is a back screen with a blinking (whatever its called)

Is there anything I can do? I've noticed besides no drivers for the wireless, I've also got no sound through the laptops inbuilt speakers and the headphone jack doesn't work.

So 4.2.0-25 won't even boot ...o_O

12. John Sutherland

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello ausernamenoonehas - I wasn't aware that you have so many other problems besides the wi-fi not working. I think it's time to consider Superfly's advice: Do a clean install of LM 17.3. Given the fact that the current system installed on the SSD was originally configured for an entirely different machine with entirely different hardware, it's probably the reason you're having so many issues. Besides, it will be easier and faster to do a clean install rather than trying to troubleshoot so many problems with what you have now.

As Superfly suggested, before installing, test the machine in a live CD session first to see if all the hardware issues you're experiencing now are resolved or if some still persist.

A personal request from me: Download the Ubuntu 15.10 .iso and test that in addition to testing Linux Mint 17.3 in a live CD session. I'm very curious to see if what I've read is indeed true, that using Ubuntu with the 4.2 kernel is the solution to the problem with the Killer AC 1535 adapter.

13. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
    Nooooo!!!!

I really REALLY don't want to install again. Don't mind me, I'm just being a cry baby, because of what I went through the first time I installed Linux. Believe it not, I somehow nuked my Windows 8.1 drive in the process, hence why Linux is installed on a separate SSD ...

I couldn't even say what I did, all I know was after installing Linux, my Windows partition was gone!

Luckily I had a fairly recent backup done in Macrium, so I only lost a few things. I wasn't game enough to attempt to install Linux on my main laptop drive again (and luckily I didn't, as that laptop was stolen recently and I would have been left with nothing)

What I'd really love, IF, I am to install Linux from scratch, is to have a dual-boot Windows 10 / Linux Mint set-up, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Linux Mint for everything I do, and Windows 10 so I can game. That would be perfect. As it stands now, I reboot, hit the DEL key like crazy, get the BIOS up, switch over to Legacy (to boot the Linux OS) and then reboot, hit DEL, and switch to UEFI to boot Windows to play a game.

A dual-boot setup and simply click what I want would be sweet, but a program that Michaela Joy posted "easyBCD?" I think it was called, it said it couldn't do anything because the BIOS was in UEFI and if I switch to Legacy, Windows 10 doesn't boot ...o_O

14. John Sutherland

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello ausernamenoonehas - Before doing anything else, try what I've suggested. Download both the Linux Mint 17.3 .iso and the Ubuntu 15.10 .iso files, then test both OS's in a live CD session to see if your wi-fi adapter and your other hardware works. Don't worry about installation until you've got an OS worth installing.

15. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
  16. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
  17. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
  18. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
  19. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
    #19 ausernamenoonehas, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    (OP)
  20. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    In that thread, one guy said that at boot used the option "idle=nomwait". This what you have to write after booting from DVD/USB at start up after pressing TAB for more options.
    After that you remove the nvidia-nouveau drivers (open source) and install the proprietary ones. Easy. ;)