Help needed to unbrick HP dv4075sf

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by redsectors, Jan 1, 2012.

1. redsectors

redsectors MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2012
    hello everybody and happy new year :hug2:

i tried a bios mod for my hp dv7 in order to disable hybrid graphics.
    Flash was ok and full menu was available. i rebooted the notebook several time and booted into windows too. No problem.

Then i went to setup and just replaced the hybrid graphics option with dedicated cpu then black screen.

I tried hundred of things read on this forum and on bios mod but no luck (remove cmos battery, usb flash recovery)

Please help me :worthy:

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

Attached are my bios setup before flash...

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    When you tried flash recovery were you able to see the flash utility?

3. redsectors

redsectors MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2012

Screen is black. No video at all. I tried to plug an external monitor. Same.

The only thing that is visible is the blinking of the usb key when i attempt a recovery (no beep at all)

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    tried resetting bios to defaults ? cmos battery.

5. redsectors

redsectors MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2012
    thanks for the replies!

i have removed the cmos battery
    i have also removed hard disks to be sure that recovery will occur on usb key
    i have tried different bios version from the more recent from f04 (sp48115.exe) to f29 (sp55299.exe)

Here is my files hierarchy on my usb key :

F:\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\current\01448.bin
    F:\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\current\01448.sig
    F:\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\previous\01448.bin
    F:\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\previous\01448.sig

I tried with <windows>+<b> key and the all arrows keys... no luck o_O

6. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    My guess is the version that you have in rom are both the same and both have the same error. So when you remove the cmos the recovery part of the rom has the same error contained in it after you put the battery back. There is no recovery to default after that because the default has the same issue.

I'm not trying to harsh on you here because I know already have enough going on. Just some advice for next time. Back up your BIOS 1st before attempting BIOS MOD (have a recovery plan clear in your mind) and if for some reason you didn't take my advice,take out the cmos battery first. If still no go do not reflash until after asking questions.
    Ok Dad:beee:

I wish you the best:sporty94:

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    plain fat32 .. sometimes the stick size over 4gb isnt picked up (yours is newer EFI so i doubt it would have issues at all)

try a few file names 1448.fd or1448.bin in root of usb or in \Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\current\

8. redsectors

redsectors MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2012
    - I tried differents usb sticks (256m, 1gb & 4g) in fat and fat32
    - i tried to put bios on root of sd cards with differents name

i guess 01448 is the right one as it is the one that is on the hp recovery partition (i unplugged the associated disk and used a sata-usb adapter on another notebook to recover the content of this partition)

i would like to know where are my bios settings stored ??! the black screen appeared when i changed the video settings from "hybrid mode" to "gpu dedicated graphics" and rebooted the computer...

my computer stay hot when i power it on as if the dedicated gpu was directly active... how can can switch back to hybrid mode ??

9. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Is it possible the gpu itself is not graphics capable? Hence your problem. Since you have your screen shots see the identified processor, investigate whether graphics capable and if not replace the processor with one that is. Just a thought.

Did you have the option in the original bios for "gpu dedicated graphics"?

10. redsectors

redsectors MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2012
    The GPU is an ati radeon mobility HD5650... The original bios was crippled, option was not available...

11. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #13 redroad, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
    What I was referring to is some of the newer CPU's have the GPU built into them. I do not no if that applies to your case?

12. redsectors

redsectors MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2012
    #15 redsectors, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
    (OP)
    cpu is corei3 so intel hd is embedded with processor. Intel hd was used as initial gfx card for bios...
    i think i am not concerned by the windows problem coz i do not come to os boot yet... notebook do not boot at all (i tested with a freedos usb disk which tried to write a simple textfile, just to be sure)

Edit: i was running Windows7 Family Premium 64bits and OSX Lion (without Quartz) that's why i needed to disable this f**ck** intel chipset...

13. redsectors

redsectors MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2012
    I have put all the bios, sig files here. Xdelta output is not very clear to me ...

http : / /
    egr2.pausechoco.com/delta.rar

.previous : files found in the previous folder
    .current : files found in the current folder
    .phoenix : original bios from hp decrypted with andy's tool

14. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    I am sorry for the late reply. I am currently in the middle of something but as soon as I finish. I will post back definitely by morning (eastern std. time)USA. It is now 16:15 here 01/03/2011:biggrin: talk to you soon. In the remaining time if any one else wants to jump in.

15. redsectors

redsectors MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2012
    memory was checked on another laptop : ok
    there is no beep or blink of the caps lock key about a problem.
    what could it be ?
    Nobody has an idea ??

16. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011