Help needed with MCE '04 and '05 OEM ISO's

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by CrazyDaze, Mar 9, 2012.

1. CrazyDaze

CrazyDaze MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2012
    First computer:
    I have a SONY Vaio RG44-(something I can fill in later) that the hard drive crashed and the recovery disks I created are shot. I think paying $30+ for a recovery disk is BS and I'd prefer to stay legit. I just want to install Windows XP MCE 2004 on it using my legit key from the sticker on the side of my case.

Second computer:
    I received a Toshiba Satellite M105-S3004 from my wife's friend. The plan was to wipe it down re-install the OS and give it to my daughter. It appears that my wife's friend son had been messing around with it and completely wiped the recovery portion of the disk and she doesn't know of any recovery disk being made or packaged with the computer when she purchased it. The sticker on the bottom is for Windows XP MCE 2005.

The bottom line is I'd like to create disks for the two from ISO's which seems possible from perusing the site but I'm not quite sure I understand everything. When searching for ISO's I keep coming across '05 versions for Dell and HP's but nothing for Toshiba and nothing for '04 much less SONY.

I used files for XP MCE 2005 that I found from the topic "Looking for untouched Win XP MCE 2005" but when I tried to install and enter the key from my sticker it's says it not valid. Can someone please give me some direction to go?

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  3. CrazyDaze

CrazyDaze MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2012
    I can try that but how do I finalize the install I started with non OEM disk without a valid key?

4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    I have used this method with retail no problems. You just need internet connection and your valid when done.

5. CrazyDaze

CrazyDaze MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2012
    :confused: I guess I'm dumb, well I know that :eek:, but maybe I'm not being clear. I started to do clean install and it's stuck at a point where it starts to do set language and time zone but asks for a key before proceeding. I can not boot into windows. Are you saying that if I connect a network cable to the laptop when it gets to that point it'll let me through without a key? From what I'm reading I need to be able to boot into windows to run that update tool.

6. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  8. CrazyDaze

CrazyDaze MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2012
    If I need to I don't mind starting all over with the install. Thank you for you help so far though. :worthy:

9. CrazyDaze

CrazyDaze MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2012
    @Tito: Thank you as well..