Help needed with old software, lost password, possible reinstall

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by SL2, Jul 24, 2019.

1. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    #1 SL2, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    SOLVED

2. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    The old password is likely stored in an encrypted form in the credential file, which is located at: [Windows Profile]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Credentials\[Random ID] and [Windows Profile]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Credentials\[Random ID]

That said, it will be in an encrypted form. There are ways to decrypt credential files but I am not going to publicly provide ways to do that for obvious reasons.

The password hash or salted password encryption file could also be stored in the [Windows Profile]\Application Data directory in the TEC Vista folder. A salted password cannot be reverted back to a readable string, however.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Thank you for the help, much appreciated.

I'm sorry but I forgot to mention one important thing, this is on Windows NT 4.0.

The file structure is obviously quite different from anything that came after it, even W2000 as I recall it.

Anyway, you gave me some ideas for what to look/search for.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Should be all under \WINNT\Profiles on NT 4.0.

5. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    We found out that the program adds a space " " if no new password is entered. In hindsight, this makes sense.

Thanks for your help! :cheers: