help new to vmware

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by heyjimidude, Aug 4, 2009.

1. heyjimidude

heyjimidude MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #1 heyjimidude, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    hi, I am new to vmware. I installed version 6.xx workstation

what i am trying to do and do not understand is:

1. I want to install a fresh copy of windows xp pro sp2 with all updates and drivers for my box as a host OS. So far no probs here it is a regular install.

2. Then I want to install a few apps like firefox and codec packs, etc...on the host OS. no probs here it is a regular install.

3. Then I want to install vmware and make an image file of my "host" installation so that I can save the time to not install again and make this image as a guest operating system (what I installed in steps 1 and 2 for the host operating system). I do not know how to do this.

4. Once I have an image of the host OS I want to be able to store it for safekeeping somewhere and I want to be able to open 4-6 clones of it as guest OSes and mod each of them differently and save them under different generic names. I do not know how to do this

Can anybody help?

All I was able to do is load windows from a winxp cd and also from the iso of a winxp cd and both of these methods required taking the full amount of time to install the guest OS as it would a regular install. And when I tried to mount a vmdk image of this install, vmware did not accept te vmdk format only iso. Help me please.

2. heyjimidude

heyjimidude MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #3 heyjimidude, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    (OP)
    ok thx a lot i will try this converter. i went to read what it was about. I think this will maybe do part of what i am looking to do but maybe not everything.