Help please - new to Windows, want to install 8.1 with partitioned HD

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by east-west, Jun 10, 2015.

1. east-west

east-west MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2015
    Hi, have just forum so this is my first post. :clap:

I'm a long time Mac user and part time Linux user. Windows I have only dabbled in on other peoples computers (mostly) so I'm a bit green and would really appreciate some guidance.

1) I have a HP computer here with a blank HD, originally it retailed with Win 7 installed - but I don't have any install discs for that OS. Can I just go ahead and install Win 8.1?

2) I want to have a partitioned HD running a variant of Linux on the other partition. What is the best path - install Linux, partition then install Windows 8.1 OR install Windows 8.1, partition then install Linux? OR ... ?

3) I want Media Centre, is there a 32bit download which includes this? Can anyone point me to the right links for this? I only have 2GB RAM at the moment (hence the 32bit).

Thanks for any and all help.

2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi east-west,
    1. Yes you can install Windows 8.x instead of Windows 7 but you'll have to use KMS to activate it.
    2. Always install Windows first (and start with the oldest version if your going to install more than one version)
    Then use the partioning tools in your Linux distro to shrink the Windows partition, install and set up a boot manager.
    3. If the disk you have doesn't have WMC, check the stickies at the top. There should be links to other ISO's.
    (you could check the Windows 7 section stickies for ISO links and activation tips)

Good Luck. ;)

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    It's the multi-edition Retail ISO (Pro/Core) which is needed for WMC. Pro_VL and N versions are shipped without and cannot be upgraded.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...