[Help] Recovering data off GPT partition

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by itsbighead, Mar 13, 2014.

1. itsbighead

itsbighead MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    Hi Community

So here is my problem. Recently i purchased a $200 HP Pavilion 14-b030tu Sleekbook off eBay where the guy told me that the computer was always stuck in automatic repair.

So i ran HP diagnostics on the drive and it came back with the "Short DST failed", i know that when the short dst failed tests means that the hdd is about to die. Currently i have removed the hdd and have connected it to my computer where it still gets recognized as a hard drive.

Because i dont want to spend money buying a USB with the HP recovery image on it, does anyone
    1) Know a way to recover data off a GPT harddrive? Ive tried Active@ File Recovery but it doesnt allow me to do anything except superscan the drive
    2) Where the recovery image is stored in harddrives from HP ultrabooks that run Windows 8?

Thanks

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Why don't you install fresh??

3. itsbighead

itsbighead MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    too much of a hassle finding everything again. Any ideas on my problem?

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  5. itsbighead

itsbighead MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    but how do i extract the certificate and the key if i cant even logon to windows?

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Install fresh Windows using generic key, then dump the OEM: DM key.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    An other way for to check the problem is just because of "soft" errors, run an Utility Software like HDD Regenerator, DRevitalize or Hard Disk Sentinel and do an "repair" without loosing any installed Programs or Data! Those apps working without to touch any data and even regardless of the Format of Partition system!

To use such apps would be at all times my first choice to check!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. itsbighead

itsbighead MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    The drive shows up as being 31mb and none of them are able to detect anything so what should i do?

Do you think converting the drive to MBR will allow be to get the data off it?

9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Sure I can do it for you, just come over to my workshop... in Mexico. :D

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seems that the partitioning is damaged?! In that case, check with an Partition Recovery apps if there's is anything else which you could recover like Active@ Partition Recovery and a lot others, some of them also Freeware. Just run such apps, check the drive and BEFORE you use to really recover, check FIRST what were found. With different apps the outcome can also be different!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...