[Help] Reinstall Biometrics/Windows Hello

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by C-Fu, Mar 2, 2019.

1. C-Fu

C-Fu MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2017
    Good day,

I followed a guide somewhere on the net a long time ago on how to remove the Biometrics service aka Windows Hello. I have since transplanted the drive into a new laptop that has a fingerprint reader built in, but unless I reinstall windows, and configure everything back, I can't utilize the fingerprint function to login.

I can't find the guide anymore, and all guides that I've found only tells you to (at most) enable biometrics in gpedit.msc, in which it returns service not installed.

What can I do?

Thanks!

2. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Senior Member

Apr 30, 2015
    What Brand the laptop?

ATGPUD2003

3. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    sounds like u need to first remove the old bio metric driver install on current HD and then re-install the proper driver for your new laptop and then configure the finger print reader.

4. C-Fu

C-Fu MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2017
    Laptop is Alldocube Thinker i35. With fingerprint reader. It works before this with stock Windows 10 installation.

It's not a driver issue. Drivers are working. Just that the biometric service and/or Windows Package does not exist as I removed (deleted) the package in my custom windows 10 installation. I just need to know the package/feature name so I can extract it from a Windows 10 1809 iso and use powershell to install it (somehow, I know that it's possible).

5. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Addicted

Jun 30, 2015
    This why is not a good idea to shop up the OS now u need biometric back in and u mite not be able to re-install it unless u do a complete clean install again, good luck trying to find that.

6. C-Fu

C-Fu MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2017
    To be honest I don't really mind reinstalling. Just figured hey since I have a (kinda) small problem, might as well see if there's an actual way to reinstall this biometric Windows Feature or Package and learn a thing or two.

Example:
    Code:
    DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /All /FeatureName:Microsoft-Hyper-V
    if you wanna install Hyper-V via PowerShell. While I don't know for sure, I believe you might be able to do so with biometric as well.

7. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @C-Fu - Have you tried opening Device Manager and looking under Biometric Devices? It might be possible to re-install the drivers for the device that way.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    You could ask @MSMG what packages are needed. From the look at the packages list for 1809 it's hard to distinguish what is what, possibly the Biometrics packs are sub-packages :g:. Till 1709 there were Biometrics packs visible but that changed.

Best bet is a Repair-Install which will reinstall them likewise.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...