[Help] Reinstall Biometrics/Windows Hello

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by C-Fu, Mar 2, 2019.

1. C-Fu

C-Fu MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2017
    Good day,

I followed a guide somewhere on the net a long time ago on how to remove the Biometrics service aka Windows Hello. I have since transplanted the drive into a new laptop that has a fingerprint reader built in, but unless I reinstall windows, and configure everything back, I can't utilize the fingerprint function to login.

I can't find the guide anymore, and all guides that I've found only tells you to (at most) enable biometrics in gpedit.msc, in which it returns service not installed.

What can I do?

Thanks!

2. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    What Brand the laptop?

ATGPUD2003

3. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    sounds like u need to first remove the old bio metric driver install on current HD and then re-install the proper driver for your new laptop and then configure the finger print reader.

4. C-Fu

C-Fu MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2017
    Laptop is Alldocube Thinker i35. With fingerprint reader. It works before this with stock Windows 10 installation.

It's not a driver issue. Drivers are working. Just that the biometric service and/or Windows Package does not exist as I removed (deleted) the package in my custom windows 10 installation. I just need to know the package/feature name so I can extract it from a Windows 10 1809 iso and use powershell to install it (somehow, I know that it's possible).

5. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    This why is not a good idea to shop up the OS now u need biometric back in and u mite not be able to re-install it unless u do a complete clean install again, good luck trying to find that.

6. C-Fu

C-Fu MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2017
    To be honest I don't really mind reinstalling. Just figured hey since I have a (kinda) small problem, might as well see if there's an actual way to reinstall this biometric Windows Feature or Package and learn a thing or two.

Example:
    Code:
    DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /All /FeatureName:Microsoft-Hyper-V
    if you wanna install Hyper-V via PowerShell. While I don't know for sure, I believe you might be able to do so with biometric as well.

7. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @C-Fu - Have you tried opening Device Manager and looking under Biometric Devices? It might be possible to re-install the drivers for the device that way.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    You could ask @MSMG what packages are needed. From the look at the packages list for 1809 it's hard to distinguish what is what, possibly the Biometrics packs are sub-packages :g:. Till 1709 there were Biometrics packs visible but that changed.

Best bet is a Repair-Install which will reinstall them likewise.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...