[HELP!] RemoveWAT bugged -- can't restore

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by -Francis, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Francis

-Francis MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2010
    Scroll down for tl;dr version.

Alright, so recently I've downloaded RemoveWAT, in an attempt to 'genuinize' my copy of Windows 7. So there it was, and then I executed "Remove WAT".

A few weeks after, a friend of mine told me that Microsoft Security Essentials is the way to go as a replacement for my current a/v, and so I dl'ed MSE and tried to install it. This was where things went wrong. As the installation procedure started, it asked me to verify if my copy of Windows is genuine, so I clicked 'Validate' on the install screen. OOPS. It told me that my copy is fake.

So, without thinking, I downloaded ChewWGA, and installed it, without realizing that Remove WAT is still applied. Uh-oh. Although ChewWGA was applied, MSE still told me that my copy is not genuine, so again, I tried too look for solutions.

Then via torrent, I got Windows PlusPatcher. So I installed the cracked key and removed the activation things via PlusPatcher, again without realizing that ChewWGA and RemoveWAT were still on.

But f**king MSE still concluded ingenuity. So, I decided to bail and just get Avast! 5.

Tl;dr version:

Anyway, Windows 7 shows me constant nag screens that 'You may be a victim of counterfeiting' and all that s**t. So I thought that maybe I could re-apply RemoveWAT by reverting back first and then reinstalling.

I reverted ChewWGA, and uninstalled PlusPatcher; but can't make the RemoveWAT restore option work! I CAN'T RESTORE!

Can anybody help me please? Thanks a lot!

2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Between installing a dozen different cracks/loaders/whatnot you screwed your install

3. -Francis

-Francis MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2010
    Wow, you helped a lot there captain obvious.

4. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    maybe you should be nice to the mod team?

5. -Francis

-Francis MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2010
  6. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #7 Mr Jinje, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
    What does being random have to do with anything ? The Japanese have a saying that sometimes the best action to take is inaction. If you really wanted to show your intelligence, you would not have played into this game.

and FYI, he is a mod - he's the local undercover ninja brother :ninjastar:

Try "SFC /SCANNOW"

If not that, then try doing a system restore to before you started having problems. Otherwise there are not too many choices left.

I've got an eSATA drive and it takes me about 45 minutes to copy 100GB of data, probably take 2 hours via USB. Then use Windows Easy Transfer to capture your settings. You will have to re-install all your apps. That sucks, next time use a loader or learn your lesson and pay for software to prevent these kinds of issues. Is the $100 bucks you saved really worth all this trouble.

7. -Francis

-Francis MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2010
    Well, shoot. Haven't done a system restore for ages. The last time I've made one was after I installed Visual Basic Express 2008 and BlueJ, which was around two months after I installed Windows 7, which is where RemoveWAT came into action.

I never wanted to declare intelligence, nor did I ever plan into joining this game -- it was merely a necessity to use these so called perpetuity applications to enable my Windows 7, as my OEM manufacturer, Acer, has prolonged my waiting for it to deliver its free Windows 7 upgrade (where the pre-installed OS is Vista).

Truly, I apologize for overlooking that possibility. It was merely misunderstanding that made me post that statement -- really, any new MDL forumer would be confused of the rank of someone, if not indicated properly. I mean, who would have thought that MDL Novice could be a sectional mod?

Yes, it does suck. I really don't think I'd want to lose that much data. But, oh well, I'll have to look into the possibilities.

Thanks for the reply.

8. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Well if sfc /scannow does not work u should just reinstall ur Win7. Btw.. using multiple cracks/loaders at the same time is quite useless and messes up ur systm so....

9. Brandrune

Brandrune MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Well Francis, to be honest you shouldn't really undermine or insult other members, Moderators or not.

Well to be honest, if your dedicating that much to an OS I would certainly go geniune. Anyhow you have way too many loaders/cracks installed to be able to attempt a fix. The only way is a reinstall of Windows 7.

And "Captain Obvious", its usually a good idea to take an image of your OS if you like its setup!

10. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    You ran pluspatch!?

That thing will MURDER your activation and any chance of fixing it.

11. -Francis

-Francis MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2010
    s**t.

Excuse me for the term, but s**t.

What the heck will I do now? :O

And to HSChronic and to all those whom I may have insulted, I apologize. I did not mean to insult you in any way, yet my words came out more harshly than a civilized forumer should. I was just too edgy due to this problem that it came out worse that I thought. I'm really sorry.

12. Brandrune

Brandrune MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Sorry mate, and we accept your apologies. You'd better start backing up then.

13. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    @Brandon, you should close/delete this... he should have used the original RemoveWat topic to ask his question in my opinion

14. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Yea, it looks like you have to reinstall windows 7 dude. As for what Hazar said PlusPatch was for the beta release to remove the timebomb and activate but it never really worked right. Hell the only thing I would use from Orbit30 now would be the 7loaders that Hazar and Orbit30 worked on together like 7loader 1.5r2 dude. Anyway good luck and my advise to you would be going with a loader because they are more stable and are harder for M$ to detect(No offense to you Hazar, removeWAT is good but M$ is messin it up).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    I see no evidence of it being messed up my Microsoft.

16. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I have read alot about removeWAT and a lot of ppl saying that their pc's are saying "Not Genuine" randomally. Maybe it is something else but I figured that M$ figured out a way around it maybe not IDK. I just figured that would not be very hard to do because it takes system files out. Again IDK for sure. Either way you make good stuff dude. Like the first ever loader for win7. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Hahahahaha!

18. -Francis

-Francis MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2010
    I actually did post at the original RemoveWAT thread.

What I'm going to try to do now is make a self-activating DVD using Sam's OEM DVD kit, and then install that. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna reinstall my original genuine activated Windows Vista OEM cd, then upgrade from there. Theoretically, it should work 100%.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

@chinobino: Err, wat?
    @BrandRune: MY GOD, I SHOULD NOW CALL THE ARMY OF THE UNDEAD... FOR BACKUP... I CAN'T FACE NINJAS ALONE. *shivers*

19. Al_Jourgensen

Al_Jourgensen MDL Junior Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Hello community

is there a "WAT" for windows 8.1?

Thank you for your atention