[Help:] Shortcut Pin to StartScreen Issue in W8-1-x

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by moderate, Apr 1, 2014.

1. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #1 moderate, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    Hello guys,

I have strange issue with one particular application shortcut and W8-1-x:

After the program (name isn't important, still the name is below in path) installation... it installs its shortcut as:

c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\r2 Studios\Startup Delayer\Configure Startup Delayer.lnk

The shortcut runs:
    "C:\Program Files\Startup Delayer\Startup Delayer.exe"
    with working directory:
    "C:\Program Files\Startup Delayer"
    and no parameters...
    EXE is there alive and kicking :))

Default settings after the app install are for this shortcut:
    Tile isn't displayed at StartScreen (like any other app after the install in W8-1x).
    Tile is displayed at "All Applications" (down arrow) list.

However, if want to pin it to Start screen and do right click on the tile in "All Applications" list (or do search), the content menu doesn't give me "Pin to StartScreen" option but gives me "Unpin from Startscreen" instead, while the shortcut isn't pinned to StartScreen yet.

If I choose to "Unpin", the shortcut disappears from "All Applications" list too and it is deleted from c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs...

Any other shortcuts work as expected...

Do you any hint to cure this behavior?

2. hpvn9x

hpvn9x MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2012
    Was there an option like "Find in Start" available?

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Have you try to go to "C:\Program Files\Startup Delayer\Startup Delayer.exe", do a Right Click on the .exe and chose Pin to Start ?

Thatr works all times for me, even I could not use the normal Pin to Start option.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #4 moderate, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    (OP)
    Both of you guys rulez, both solutions works, but the one from hpvn9x is better, since that option actually "finds" the tile on Start Screen, what in fact wasn't formerly there and from that moment faulty "start screen item" is corrected for good.
    Pisthai solution works too, however it creates tile new "start screen item", so original one in "All Applications" is still there and faulty.

BTW: By "start screen item" I mean one single entry in some datafile, which defines one single tile on start screen.

SOLVED. :))