HELP: Sony Vaio VGN-NW11S/S (model PCG-7171M) BIOS needed

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by caiusfabricius, Jan 13, 2013.

1. caiusfabricius

caiusfabricius MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2013
    #1 caiusfabricius, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    Hi all,
    I have bought a NOS Sony Vaio VGN-NW11S/S (model PCG-7171M)
    Notebok is really new, but it's faulty (well, I knew it before buying it so no complaining).
    When I power on, the only thing I obtain is a blank screen (no backlight at all), POWER green LED stay lighted, I can hear some activity from HDD (its LED lights up one time) and after one minute the fan starts and keeps to spin.
    According to the seller there has been some assembling trouble.
    But, judging from the symptoms, I presume the BIOS get corrupted or bad factory flashed.
    BIOS chip is Winbond 25X16AVSIG in SOIC-8 package.I could try get a new chip and program it to but, sadly Sony releases no binary BIOS file but only self-extracting archive.Where can I find an original or modded BIOS file for this laptop?
    Thanks in advance.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if no bios to download best is to make backup.bin of yours and find someone with same bios rom.

did u try external monitor VGA or HDMI plug ? sometimes its bad screen.. some the VGA chip in motherboard needs a reflow.
    depends on model (i havent researched this model)

3. caiusfabricius

caiusfabricius MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks for replying.Regarding the backup of mine BIOS, did you mean reading the chip after desoldering it?On Sony website there is only a self-extracting archive but no binary.

I tried an external VGA but with no luck, same problem.Yes, I know some GPU need a reflow, I have done this some times ago on a Pavillon DV-6000.The strange is that my laptop is really new, as if it came out now from the factory.Isn't surprising that it needs already a reflow?On this model the GPU is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

4. Galileo Figaro

Galileo Figaro MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2010
    You can use WinRAR to unpack that archive.