HELP! SSD Not Showing Up After Windows 8 BOOTMGR Got Corrupted!!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by LEXX911, Aug 6, 2012.

1. LEXX911

LEXX911 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    What happen is that I replaces the img100.png C:\Windows\Web\Screen to change the Lock Screen image. What I did was that I use the the Advance to change permission of the whole Screen Folder so I can make changes. Even though I got errors I was able to change/replace that image. So I rebooted and I am no longer able to boot into my Windows 8. I try to fix the boot manager booting into my W8 USB drive with Command Prompt but it couldn't find or locate a drive. But there is a x:/source folder that contain my OS. After that I am no longer able to boot up with my bootable W8 USB(keeps going into the bluescreen "The boot configuration data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system") drive so I have to create a bootable W8 DVD that will let boot up W8 installation disk. So I try to do a full reinstallation. When it got to where you Select Drive To Install my SSD doesn't show up. I click on Load Driver>Browse>and I can see Boot(x:) that is my SSD.

The next thing I can think of is to remove the SSD and connect it to my external USB and try to format it on my other computer. But it would not pick up my SSD in Disk Management. I even try putting my SSD into one of my eternal Sata cable(took awhile for my Windows 7 to boot up) and still it doesn't show up in Disk Management.

So now I don't have a clue of what went wrong. Is my SSD corrupted? If it's corrupted why can I still able to view Folders off my Windows 8 in Command Prompt? What is exactly wrong here?

Does anyone know a way to format a SSD that it can't been seen in their computer? Is there a way? My SSD is a Force Series F60GB Corsair.

2. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    #3 xscess, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Added some screenshots in earlier post. Now if you have any other working PC, you could also try by removing your SSD's MBR by following(after connecting the SSD via external cable to a working PC):

Launch a command prompt with admin rights
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    -->Do you see your SSD here? if yes, enter the drive number in the next step. If you don't see your SSD listed here, i guess live Linux distro would be the best option for you(as describe in my earlier post).

• select disk # (replace the # sign with the drive number)
    • clean
    • create partition primary
    • select partition 1
    • active
    • format quick fs=fat32
    • assign
    • exit

Once done with either method, you could put the SSD back and Windows 8 installation should be able to "see" it.

4. LEXX911

Jul 29, 2009
  5. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
  6. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I don't think multiple installation of Windows would kill the SSD, if it was dying even before you started, that's different thing. 've read in many hardware related forums that Samsung 830s are very reliable and just bought one but haven't even opened the box yet...

Since you've ran the Parted Magic/Corsair Secure Erase, just out of curiosity, do you get to see the SSD in BIOS? If yes, there's chance its not dead yet ;)

7. LEXX911

Jul 29, 2009
    No, it didn't get detected in the Bios. You can tell it's corrupted or death because the OS takes an eternity to boot up if I connect the SSD to an external or internal source. I'm pretty sure my PSU probably zap the fried the fragile Corsair SSD when I turn it off.