HELP! System won't post!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by zypherion, Mar 18, 2009.

1. zypherion

zypherion MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2009
    #1 zypherion, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
    Hey guys, new here at the forums.

Stats:
    Foxconn p45a-s motherboard
    Intel E8500
    2x2Gb Mushkin 800mhz 5-4-4-12
    Radeon HD 4850 512mb GDDR 3
    2x250Gb Maxtors
    1x500Gb SATA II Seagate

Anyways, a couple nights ago I was screwing around in my BIOS menu and "accidentally" set my 800Mhz ram to 1066Mhz... oops... Anyways, now my system won't post. No beep codes. When I hit my power button the fans and cooling system power up, but that's it.

I've narrowed it down to the board by swapping out all other components (psu and cpu included) and trying it with just cpu heatsink/fan and psu, still no beeping here.

I've tried plenty of stuff already, CMOS jumper, removing CMOS battery (for 30min and 20+ hours), removed everything from case and did it all again, and evening shorting the actual BIOS chip itself.

I've already ordered a replacement BIOS chip loaded with the latest firmware, but was wondering if there's anything else I could try before I wait almost a week for that chip.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    What to do?

1.Is CPU fan running? No fan, often no POST;
    2.Turn on machine, let idle, then reset (warm boot); POST/BEEPS?
    3.Remove/Disconnect EVERYTHING; install gfx card and ONE RAM stick; POST/BEEPS?
    4.Remove EVERYTHING except CPU/CPU FAN; connect case speaker; BEEP codes?
    5.Substitute known good, compatible RAM stick;
    6. Flash BIOS?

Given the fact of overclocking, I would not think that the RAM is trashed but I would have thought that clearing the CMOS would have reset the BIOS to its defaults. I have experienced overclocking crashes/issues but never fried the RAM or the BIOS chip; apart from the above general diagnostic steps I am at a loss to understand such a catastrophic event. Nevertheless, I wonder about the RAM.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zypherion

zypherion MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2009
    Hi, unfortunately, I've gone through the steps you've listed... and not even a beep code as of yet, even with just cpu/heatsink/fan and power.

the cpu fan, as well as all other power reliant parts (hard drives, dvd-rw,video card fan, etc.) do run.

That's why I'm hoping just a quick swap of the bios chip will produce some results, otherwise it's probably a bad board, or worse a dead cpu.

I've tried flashing the BIOS, but the board doesn't seem to run through booting, so It can't read from the floppy I was trying to flash with.

thanks again for your input.

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Bummer

This event qualifies for a four-letter-word footnote!

Curious: any sign of bad bus components prior to resetting the RAM speed? Also, nonetheless mindful that the floppy won't boot, don't suppose you can boot a BIOS flash from the DVD ROM?

Never heard of such a think but are you thinking that resetting the RAM speed could have fried mobo, RAM, or CPU? :confused:

One can only hope it's just the BIOS chip. Do let us know.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. techy

techy MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2009
    try to reset your mother bios . reset setting written on mother ( in small word ) try to search on mother board. There will be the jumper setting i think.
    Or try to start computer without Bios battery.

6. zypherion

zypherion MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2009
    What would be considered a sign of a bad bus?

Unfortunately I have... but no luck.

7. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Yep. This should do it assuming that nothing got broken.

Remove bios battery, set reset jumper (even new mobos usually still have that jumper) and wait about 10-30 sec or even longer to make sure every setting resets to defaults. Then plug battery in and set reset jumper back to normal location

EDIT: But looks like you tried it already

8. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #8 HMonk, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  9. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #10 HMonk, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
    Extra HTTP://

Story of my life: shoot blanks or extras - can't seem to find the happy medium. :eek: Thanks for pointing that out - now corrected.

Sorry for adding to your ills. :(

Monk

10. zypherion

zypherion MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2009
    actually, it made me feel a little bit better that at least I could fix a problem with a hyperlink lol, vocational skool ftw.